Dupont Paint Costs!! Sticker Shock!

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Hi, anyone work for Dupont Paint??? I am getting ready to have my other 66 dart painted and using the same Dupont ChromaBase Chrysler 2006-2010 PR3
High Performance Red... best price around here is $529.00 per gallon....ouch!!! price has gone way up in just two years... anyone know of a wholesaler???? Thanks, John

OUCH peck on the web and as you know red in the most expensive paint.Is name brand worth the PRICE I don't know.Good luck

My body guy is using http://www.matrixsystem.com/. Place he gets it from is giving him there best stuff at the lower end products price. He has not painted the car (jams/trunk only) yet but he is more than impressed. Lays out nice and has alot of pop. A buddy of his suggested it, has been using it for a while now with great results. His buddy used to do nothing but high $$$ restorations for http://www.factorymuscle.net/index.php . If I remember right he said that the company was started by a few ex PPG engineers that needed a change....

Materials have tripled in price in the last two years. The paint we're gonna do this Chevelle with is 450 a gallon.

You will always pay more for red's. Using paint in the shops I never cared about the cost but for personal use I use PPG's Omni line, Omni epoxy for sealer, Omni primers, and Omni base coat, then I use PPG clear to finish.

The only cheap paint I found was at Summit Racing.

$529 a gallon for red isnt bad. I paid $800 for 3 liters of Spies Hecker Sunset red when I did the Dart.

This is why I laugh when people say body/paint is going to only cost $3k. I think the tab for just the materials for my Dart is over $2k.

find a body shop that is a 100% dupont shop and see if you can buy it under there ( C ) schgele price you shoul be able to save around 30% ...Artie I will check with my frend and see about the price is that the paint code (pr3) but shiping it my have to be fishy

How good of quality is the paintforcars.com or from http://www.tcpglobal.com/?

We need to get paint on the son's Duster this summer, but have a very limited budget this year. I'm not looking for something that will last 20 years, but at least 3-4 years would be good.

I must be a total hick or something.
Our 75 4 door Dart (Fern) 2 coats primer, 2 colors on roof, 1 color lower half, 1st coat (whole car) clear with gold micro sequins, then 3 more clear whole car, with hardeners and thinners (still turning heads) under $500.00.
(I already had the gold flake for first clear coat so I didn't buy the custom part of the paint in that total)
Wher did I get that paint you ask??
NAPA.
(Only paint shop for about 30 + miles and is only 2 miles from my house)

But don't listen to me, I paint in my driveway!
They turn out good anyway, just think if I had a booth!
I know, I know, NAPA Martin paint is junk, garbage, and I'm a rube too:D
Used it many times, no problems except when they changed the formulas last year on computer system and "Generalized" alot of the older colors. (Sense they were close to another teal you get this shade now instead of the original shade) But hey if that don't bother ya....

I painted once at 5am outside, between rainstorms, 96% humidity, 54 degrees. After I shot it, I pulled it into the barn just before it rained again!That paint job still looks good on my neighbors truck. (Ford White)
He made me paint that morning he was in a rush. I told him later that day, when he comes out tomorrow in the morning, and there is a 1/4" round, 9 foot long staw laying next to his truck, it was his paint I just put on and don't ***** to me.
It tuned out pretty good too! Been a little over a year now.

I also had a MAACO job for 3 hundy on a mustang once. I totally prepped car, then once I got there early, I removed all lights, etc, and masked it leaving only a small square on the windshield that they would have to cover before shooting. I even had it rubbed down with prep solv before any of the employees showed up!
$325.00, turned out pretty good! Bright orange metallic.

More than one way to skin a cat.....so to speak.
"Disclaimer to PITA, SPCA, etc... SORRY, It is just an old saying!!"

Paint it as close to the color as you like to fit your wallet!!!:D
My $.02 worth (my worth to me only) Rest of FABO got it free! LOL:wink:

I'm just sayin'8-)

Friend of mine always used Dupont for years but noticed recently he has switched to PPG.

I'm hearing around the shop that sometime in the near future that you will have to be licensed to buy automobile paint. They are already converting over to water base paint now.

I must be a total hick or something.
Our 75 4 door Dart (Fern) 2 coats primer, 2 colors on roof, 1 color lower half, 1st coat (whole car) clear with gold micro sequins, then 3 more clear whole car, with hardeners and thinners (still turning heads) under $500.00.
(I already had the gold flake for first clear coat so I didn't buy the custom part of the paint in that total)
Wher did I get that paint you ask??
NAPA.
(Only paint shop for about 30 + miles and is only 2 miles from my house)

But don't listen to me, I paint in my driveway!
They turn out good anyway, just think if I had a booth!
I know, I know, NAPA Martin paint is junk, garbage, and I'm a rube too:D
Used it many times, no problems except when they changed the formulas last year on computer system and "Generalized" alot of the older colors. (Sense they were close to another teal you get this shade now instead of the original shade) But hey if that don't bother ya....

I painted once at 5am outside, between rainstorms, 96% humidity, 54 degrees. After I shot it, I pulled it into the barn just before it rained again!That paint job still looks good on my neighbors truck. (Ford White)
He made me paint that morning he was in a rush. I told him later that day, when he comes out tomorrow in the morning, and there is a 1/4" round, 9 foot long staw laying next to his truck, it was his paint I just put on and don't ***** to me.
It tuned out pretty good too! Been a little over a year now.

I also had a MAACO job for 3 hundy on a mustang once. I totally prepped car, then once I got there early, I removed all lights, etc, and masked it leaving only a small square on the windshield that they would have to cover before shooting. I even had it rubbed down with prep solv before any of the employees showed up!
$325.00, turned out pretty good! Bright orange metallic.

More than one way to skin a cat.....so to speak.
"Disclaimer to PITA, SPCA, etc... SORRY, It is just an old saying!!"

Paint it as close to the color as you like to fit your wallet!!!:D
My $.02 worth (my worth to me only) Rest of FABO got it free! LOL:wink:

I'm just sayin'8-)
ya know im glad you brouht out the maaco paint jobs.my last 3yr.of painting I worked at maaco painted 5,480 cars & trucks in thos three years with 350 come backs (and yes im still in the record books at kingof presha pa. at maacos main office.becuce of it.)any ways I painted alot of my frends cars that are still looking good since 1985.what im saying is if you get in good with the painter and slide him an extra $100.00 you wont beleve the paint job you can get for around $500.00 bucks.........Artie

How good of quality is the paintforcars.com or from http://www.tcpglobal.com/?

We need to get paint on the son's Duster this summer, but have a very limited budget this year. I'm not looking for something that will last 20 years, but at least 3-4 years would be good.

Ive used the base/clear black on my GLH.Its not bad stuff(from Paintforcars.com).Price for the paint,5 Star Clear(which is very good clear for the price,buffs out NICE!)hardeners,reducers,mixing cups,strainers,mixing sticks came to about $220!It all depends also on the painters experience.:D
Eastwoods paints are good too.If you subscribe to their email list,you get free shipping on your first order.I bought my primer from them which was clearanced 2 part urethane for $61.00 free shipping.Also,check out Limco,I priced Limco for my Duster B1 Blue for $168 a gallon.

Calvin painted his Duster with oil based Rustoleum from Lowes for 27 bucks a gallon and most every one of yall have seen pictures and said it looks great. It looks damn good in person, too.

Friend of mine always used Dupont for years but noticed recently he has switched to PPG.

I'm hearing around the shop that sometime in the near future that you will have to be licensed to buy automobile paint. They are already converting over to water base paint now.

Jezz, I hope they start selling us normal Joes water based too! Along with directions on the sides of the can!!
That's my favorite part of doing a car!!!
Just like everything else I,ve ever liked. As soon as "THEY" hear you're having too much fun with somthing, it's taken away......:evil5:

That same rumor was going around in the 70's about license too.
Wonder how much John Q public, private painters there are and how much they spend???.....
Lots of barns smell like paint in these parts.
They sell alot of paint at our NAPA. They have all the body working supplies in stock too. From what I hear not all NAPA's have custom mix paint in house.
Country is a little different than a sub division. A lot more of it too.
Cars, trucks, mower decks, trailers, mowers, tractors, semis, equipment, bicycles, motor cycles, elevators, snow blowers, tillers......
I wonder.......
Rust never sleeps!8-)

Call me stupid, but how much paint is required to paint a car? Use a Duster as an example. And yes, because I have one, lol.

Hell, how much of every material does a guy need?

Ive never seen it,but heard of people using Rustoleum on their cars.

Me, roof of FOTO, my car hauler!!
WHITE BOMB!! Hey man it's just the roof!!
Only truckers can see it, LOL!!
Sides, didn't need enough to mix a whole pint!:D

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 411
I feel your pain guy's, i painted my cuda 2 years ago QQ1, (bright blue metallic), had it mixed at the paint store, 748 dollars, for a gallon, and 260 for the clear, both Ditzler, i just about fainted when he told me the price, i said, what im i sending your kid though college or something? good grief!

Call me stupid, but how much paint is required to paint a car? Use a Duster as an example. And yes, because I have one, lol.

Hell, how much of every material does a guy need?

It depends on the skill of the painter.Ive bought a gallon of each (base/clear) to paint cars the size of a Duster,and still had maybe a quart and half -2 quarts left of base,and as far as clear,I like to put at least 3-4 coats of clear to leave enough material to wetsand and buff it out.Its better to buy enough than it is to not buy enough and run out of materials in the middle of a job.You can use Chromabase and clear it with a less priced clear such as 5 Star,it wont hurt or peel off.Ive cleared over Sikkens,PPG,Dupont,even lacquer with 5 Star and never had issues.

Well, the paint that Nella picked out to paint her van is $385.00 a pint!!! If I'm doing my math right, thats almost $3100.00 a gallon, and it's gonna take every bit of a gallon to cover. So, I'm looking at about a 5K material list for the job!! I'm trying to talk her into a different color, but ever since she saw it, she's been stuck on it!!! Geof

-
Back