Duralast 433 "Economy" Brake Shoes?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
These rear 9X2 inch brake shoes have a little less lining material (top) than the shoes that I removed from the '65 Valiant with '75 Dart differential (bottom). Well at least the ends have been chamfered.

IMG_0526.jpg

Did you look at all the shoes? They're not all the same. There's a primary and secondary. I think the one with more material also goes to the back.
Also, thought there was a change made to the 7.25 rear end around 73 that changed the backing plates, but maybe this only applied to BBP 7.25 rears or maybe those with 10inch drums.

I would return them and see if the next level shoes up are not correct. As mentioned the leading shoe (front) is shorter then the trailing shoe (rear). At least, they are supposed to be. Without the longer shoe in the rear, the parking brake may not hold very well and the stopping distance could be reduced. I would not buy "those".

The rear shoe is longer and the same size as the shoe taken off from that position. The front shoe is the one "missing" a little chunk of friction material and that really does not bother me too much (keeping in mind the majority of braking power lies in the front drums anyway). I just point this discrepancy for the benefit of other forum members who may run into this sometime.

Which Brakes Are More Important: Front or Rear Brakes?

The rear shoe is longer and the same size as the shoe taken off from that position. The front shoe is the one "missing" a little chunk of friction material and that really does not bother me too much (keeping in mind the majority of braking power lies in the front drums anyway). I just point this discrepancy for the benefit of other forum members who may run into this sometime.

Which Brakes Are More Important: Front or Rear Brakes?
If the rear is longer than the front, than that is correct. The front is missing nothing. The friction material is shorter by design.

Well, compared to the smaller rear shoes that were on the car, as I showed in the photo #1 above, there is an inch or so less material on the newly purchased shoes.

Well, compared to the smaller rear shoes that were on the car, as I showed in the photo #1 above, there is an inch or so less material on the newly purchased shoes.
Just an aftermarket difference. If you're gonna lose sleep over it, throw um in the trash and get some more.

-
Back