Dust Cap part numbers

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good part number or source for front hub dust caps?
I have a pair of the Dorman ones from the local parts store #13996 that don’t seem to fit, seem slightly oversize.
Though, I admit, I also have aftermarket “Cordoba” rotors. So proper fitment might be a crapshoot.
How much of an interference fit should they be, I might have to pull the rotor off and put my calipers on the inside of the hub.

I have Cordoba rotors on a 71 Cuda and use the 13996 caps which are 1-5/32 in dia. from Dorman. I have bought ones with a smaller diameter but they fall out. The 13996 have too be a tight fit otherwise they fall out. I square them up and then use a rubber mallet to seat them.

I use to beat them with a hammer as a teenager, but there is a proper tool for when we get wiser so you don't ding them in and have them rubbing the spindle end. Or you can just use a slice of pipe that fits over the cap snug enough that it hits the rim.

beerestoration2018 644.JPG

beerestoration2018 801.JPG

beerestoration2018 802.JPG

FYI - The big end of an old pinion crush sleeve from a 489 case 8-3/4 is the perfect size to tap the cap in. I keep one just for that purpose.

I believe I used same ones, I had to grind on the bastards and put them in freezer lol. Still required a good swat or 5.
Good luck.

I had to grind the OD and take off a bit of material to get them to fit my stock front disks. It wasn’t too difficult but an annoying thing to spend time on.

Last edited:
-
Back