DUST COVER FOR 727 TRANS,WHAT YEARS FIT MINE

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
My Dart is missing the dust cover/shield that bolts onto the bottom of the torqueflite in front of the torque converter. It was this way when I bought the car. It has a 360 with 727 torqueflite. Can someone tell me what years have the correct cover for my transmission or did the covers stay the same throughout the years? Also does anyone know what size the bolts are and how long so I can find them too? Thanks

BE223C5A-2F81-4CA7-BA91-002B72E9CFA2.png

I’ve been looking online and it’s showing two different styles of dust shields for the 727.
The correct one for mine would appear to be the one in the first photo even though it’s saying that’s the cover for the trans with a big block motor and my car has a 360…weird.

1510FCDB-7730-413A-A60D-3DAD0529CB82.jpeg

7E6A4C95-68A6-4432-8C14-7B56B4A67F71.jpeg

Someone must have a pic or even one for sale if you post in wanted section. I bought one here for my Bigblock here a few years ago.Bottom one looks correct but not sure.

Someone must have a pic or even one for sale if you post in wanted section. I bought one here for my Bigblock here a few years ago.Bottom one looks correct but not sure.
Thanks,I’m surprised you’re the only one to reply. Im sure you’re probably right that the last photo is correct,but on one of the vendors sites it was listing the first cover as being used on 360’s,even though the last photo is supposedly for small block mopar v8’s.
I’ve been working on things since I’ve bought the car to get everything corrected. I’ve been driving it daily for several weeks now. Got my fender mounted indicators working correctly yesyerday. Also got around to checking the casting numbers on my engine and it’s a 1971 dated 360.
I need to get the gas gauge working next

The bottom picture is small block 727.

Why are there two different types of small block dust covers? The top one has a different shape at the top section and is a solid one piece stamping. The one below it has a removable center panel.
Which is factory correct? Anyone know what the reason is for the differences?

006F7F45-FB00-4FB1-BF9C-EADEEE1CFCFF.jpeg

06633831-2A99-46D8-B0A5-5CE1475901EA.jpeg

Last edited:
I think it's so you don't have to drop the starter and whole shield to drain the converter.

Yes,that’s what I thought.I was wondering if Chrysler made them that way from the factory or if that is an aftermarket variation. If so when did Chrysler switch from the one piece style to the style with the small access panel? Also the top of the cover is slightly different

Why are there two different types of small block dust covers? The top one has a different shape at the top section and is a solid one piece stamping. The one below it has a removable center panel.
Which is factory correct? Anyone know what the reason is for the differences?

View attachment 1716062183

View attachment 1716062184
The untouched before I messed with it 1973 Dart Sport 340 has the one with center panel.
Messed with now for sure
Here it is triple plated. Yes I have the panel pic was before I put it on.

Sig1.jpg

I think it's so you don't have to drop the starter and whole shield to drain the converter.
My buddy said that exactly.
He is a transmission guy by trade.
Was so you could drain the converter as well as pan to do a better trans service.

The untouched before I messed with it 1973 Dart Sport 340 has the one with center panel.
Messed with now for sure
Here it is triple plated. Yes I have the panel pic was before I put it on.

View attachment 1716062681
Thanks,Panther Pink is one of the wildest Colors Chrysler used for sure! I saw someone driving a 1971 Challenger painted that color about a year back. Panther Pink definetly gets noticed!

Chrysler used the cover with the access hole till 1974. 1975 they changed to the solid cover because they deleted the drain plug on the converters. Kim

Chrysler used the cover with the access hole till 1974. 1975 they changed to the solid cover because they deleted the drain plug on the converters. Kim
Thanks Kim,I knew someone here would have the answer! I wanted to get the one that would be correct for my car.
I bought a cover yesterday from a local mopar yard,but I need the little inspection cover the goes in the middle. I posted a wanted ad. Hopefully someone here will have one I can buy.
So why did Chrysler get rid of the drain plug on the converter later on?

If you're still looking for the smaller inspection cover Mancini racing sells them for about $20.

-
Back