Duster 400 22" fan shroud

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
I've got a 400 in a Duster, using elephant ears. The radiator is a 22" 3-row parts store special that is basically a copy of the factory unit. The fan is a 7-blade 17" that is just a little bit above the top of the core, and sits about 1" from the rad with no spacers and no clutch. I wondered if anyone knows whether or not a factory 22" shroud will work or not?

Based on this it looks like it would, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has tried it or not.

mancini-racing-radiator-fan-shroud-106.gif

My 17 in clutch fan is in a similar position as yours, about a 1/2 inch over the top of the core (cold case radiator). My fan is about 1/2 inch from the radiator. Mine is a 360. The fan fits nicely in the shroud. Make sure the fan is about 1/2 in, 1/2 out of the shroud. I learned that the hard way.

My 17 in clutch fan is in a similar position as yours, about a 1/2 inch over the top of the core (cold case radiator). My fan is about 1/2 inch from the radiator. Mine is a 360. The fan fits nicely in the shroud. Make sure the fan is about 1/2 in, 1/2 out of the shroud. I learned that the hard way.
Thanks!

FWIW the car came with a flex-a-lite 18" flex fan, that thing was scary for more reasons than one.

To close this, I ordered a fan shroud from Mancini and installed it. I had to enlarge one hole, which could have been because it's mounted to an aftermarket radiator. It was a hassle only because I had already put the fan on so I had to do it in place, but a small round file did the trick. Otherwise, it fit fine.

One comment - the part came in a sealed factory box, but it had what looked to be a crack at the top passenger side that was repaired. I weighed fighting over paying shipping again and the odds that the next one would have the same defect, and decided to just go ahead and install it.

It seems to have made a big difference in how much air draws through the radiator. I hadn't noticed it before but I could actually hear it drawing air when I bent down in front of the car. I have high hopes that it will help my overheating problem, but experience tells me to keep low expectations. :)

I would have enlarged the hole too. Should work but like you said experience tells me to keep low expectations.

-
Back