Duster 5 spd conversion thoughts or issues

-

ramchargermike

Mopar Garage Bar & Empori
Reaction score
I am either going to have a good 904 built for my car or putting a 5 spd in my car out of a Dakota. Has anyone done this yet and what problems am i in for like will it even fit without cutting up my car? How hard is it to find peddles and a steering column ?

The steering column is the same for a Floorshift Automatic or Floorshift 3/4 Speed. They're not too hard to find and they're pretty cheap. The last one I bought cost me $10 and only needed a new ignition cylinder/lock cylinder.

The pedals are a little tougher to find, but are still out there. I'm sure somebody on here has a set they'd sell.

I don't know if one of the Dakota 5-Speeds will fit in the car without mods, but if you do get one make sure you get an NV3500 or NV3550 5-Speed at the very least. Stay away from the AX15 and NV2500 transmissions. I wouldn't trust either of those behind a bone stock Slant 6 driven by my grandmother.

Actually, come to think of it, you can only use the Dakota transmissions with Small Blocks in your application (unless you want a 4-cylinder). The NV2500, 3500 and 3550 have an Integrated Bellhousing (The Bell is part of the transmission case), The AX15 has a bolt on bell, which is used sometimes with an Import Transmission (R154?). And none of them ever had anything other than a Chrysler 2.2/2.5 Bell, GM 2.5 Bell, and Small Block Mopar Bell. So that leaves out the /6 guys and BB guys too.

Not trying to start anything but I have seen more grenaded nv3500s than Dakota trans there are two tho the the ax15 does have a weaker case but thne n3500 seems to want break the main shaft.

They both look very similar tho they will fit If I remember right all you have to do is make a custom cross member. The pedals out of the donor dakota will fit will almost no modification then all you have to do is mount the master cylinder.

You will have to cut the floor to install a 5 speed out of a Dakota.
For example look at the Dart Sport the Musclecar Guys on Horsepower Ruined. it had a Dakota 5 speed in it before they hacked it to pieces

Have you thought of doing a 200R4 Conversion? It would give you another gear over a 904 or 727 and were put in all the GM G Bodies and much more so they are abundant to find used ones that need a rebuild.
Here is a write up on the install by Greg (Mopar to ya): http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333&highlight=200R4

I plan to do the 200R4 Conversion later on down the road for my Dart once its together for awhile

Not trying to start anything but I have seen more grenaded nv3500s than Dakota trans there are two tho the the ax15 does have a weaker case but thne n3500 seems to want break the main shaft.

They both look very similar tho they will fit If I remember right all you have to do is make a custom cross member. The pedals out of the donor dakota will fit will almost no modification then all you have to do is mount the master cylinder.

i cant remember what the 4 cylinder trans is (A-10??) but the AX-15 is for the 4.0L jeeps and they are strong...

i cant remember what the 4 cylinder trans is (A-10??) but the AX-15 is for the 4.0L jeeps and they are strong...

x2. I've seen them swapped into full size jeeps with V-8s and live. It's a good medium duty trans.

(Oh, and the 4 cyl version was the AX-5).

if it aint broke dont fix it
nothing wrong with an A-833

Plenty wrong with it namely the HUGE drop between 1-2 and 3-4 on the OD tranny a nice close ratio 5 speed will drive much better. That being said I had a A833 OD so that is what is in my truck.

The ax-15 bellhousing can be bolted to any toyota R series transmission. The input shaft lengths vary but I have some info on what lengths everything is.
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?65106-R154-motor-compatibility

R154 is really the only one with car gearing, the rest have lower first gear ratios. the r154 is pretty expensive though. I think the truck gears would work decent if you had a rear end with highway gearing though. Anyway hope this helps a bit. You also will have to modify the tunnel to get them to fit.

I am either going to have a good 904 built for my car or putting a 5 spd in my car out of a Dakota. Has anyone done this yet and what problems am i in for like will it even fit without cutting up my car? How hard is it to find peddles and a steering column ?
Im putting a 93 Dakota 5 speed and rear end in my 74 gold duster right now.it fits have to mod the crossmember.but I have the whole truck to cut up if I want.

What gear are you going to run? Remember, manual transmissions don't have the multiplication of a torque converter and usually need lower gears. That's why two cars equipped the same but one manual and the other auto the manual will have say a 3.90 VS the auto 3.55. Just something to think about.

My dad was a plant rat and he ordered the truck with a 3.55 sure grip.I'm using the whole drivetrain so it all matches.

Plenty wrong with it namely the HUGE drop between 1-2 and 3-4 on the OD tranny a nice close ratio 5 speed will drive much better. That being said I had a A833 OD so that is what is in my truck.

If you don't like the ratio spread in an A833 OD, you'll really not like a truck transmission.

x2. I've seen them swapped into full size jeeps with V-8s and live. It's a good medium duty trans.

(Oh, and the 4 cyl version was the AX-5).

yes! i should have remembered that as i was driving her jeep and made a very easy 4-5 shift in town, maybe 45mph and all of a sudden it sounded like the starter engaged... 5th gear decided it didn't like 2 teeth on it anymore...

the 5 is very weak and is known to break by just looking at it, but the 15 is a very strong trans...

Hum, Well I am running a 408 small block in my car with a 904 and a 8 1/4 rear with a 2:76 rear gear. It's going to cost me around 12 to 15 hunred to get the 904 built that will hold up in my car. But he says my rear end gear is hard on transmissions he recamends going to a 3:55 or 3:73. I love driving my car everywhere I love that the car on the freeway is only running about 1500 rpm. So my thought was to put my 8 3/4 in with a 3:91 gear and a 5 speed. But My car is a very rare car and I wont cut it all up just to do this. I know a guy who has a 5 spd out of a 1988 Dakota and he already replaced the pins in the trans that fall out and cause bad things to happen. I would really like to know how well the trans would fit the tunnel bdusted440 if you have any pictures or measurements that would really help. I have broken 3 904's so fare. I willing to spend the money on a good 904 just really want a stick in my car.

You've broken 3 904s and haven't popped that 8 1/4 yet? You're not getting any of the current 5 spds in there without tunnel mods. Heck, Have you seen how much of the tunnel you're gonna hack to get an A833 in there and use a factory shifter hump?

If you don't want to cut your car wait a little bit longer drop the coin on the passion A855 its a 5 speed that will bolt in where a normal a833 would go.

If i use that trans wont i need to get a 4 spd hump? I just might have to pony up the 1200 and have a 904 built.
No i haven t broke my 8 1/4 yet. I wont put my 8 3/4 in till I do. But I also have tires that wont stick if they ever do im going to need more parts. I dont really race the car I just enjoy it. I would like to get it set up to do the power tour next year. I just keep doing research till I make up my mind. I dont want to do anything to the car i cant change later in life to put it back to stock show room condition.

If i use that trans wont i need to get a 4 spd hump? I just might have to pony up the 1200 and have a 904 built.
No i haven t broke my 8 1/4 yet. I wont put my 8 3/4 in till I do. But I also have tires that wont stick if they ever do im going to need more parts. I dont really race the car I just enjoy it. I would like to get it set up to do the power tour next year. I just keep doing research till I make up my mind. I dont want to do anything to the car i cant change later in life to put it back to stock show room condition.

from the measurements on my 74 it should come out exactly in the middle of the tunnel right in front of the seat

-
Back