Duster ball joint questions.

-

Slappy

Reaction score
](*,)I checked the ball joints on my 70 Duster and noticed a few things. The uppers are the small ones. Does anyone know the part #? I have manual disc brakes with the single piston caliper. The lower joints I noticed on the left (driver side) the part that connects to the tie rod has a steeper dip downward than the one on the right. I had 2 new ball joints at home from a 70 dart and the both look like the straight right side. Do I have a mix of year ball joints or are they supposed to be a different dip? Seems to me they should all be the same size to make the center link straight.

QUOTE The uppers are the small ones. Does anyone know the part #? I have manual disc brakes with the single piston caliper.

Not possible unless someone used an adapter plate for the calipers.If you have a single piston caliper it's from a 73 and newer a body and you should have the larger upper ball joints.For the lower ball joints just look them up for a 73+ with a V8 motor 318-340-360 all small blocks had disc brakes from 73 on

QUOTE The uppers are the small ones. Does anyone know the part #? I have manual disc brakes with the single piston caliper.

Not possible unless someone used an adapter plate for the calipers.If you have a single piston caliper it's from a 73 and newer a body and you should have the larger upper ball joints.For the lower ball joints just look them up for a 73+ with a V8 motor 318-340-360 all small blocks had disc brakes from 73 on

The socket I have is the big ball joint socket. The ball joints are def smaller. The lower ball joints are def different from side to side. there is no adapter plates installed. Both wheel stops are facing in. Is it possible that someone before me put a lower ball joint from a different a-body? I just want to order the right ones. The ball joint socket I have is a snap-on s9479a

If you have a single piston caliper on your car, it's been converted over to a 73-76 A body disc brake system, or a B or E body disc brake system, which will require a upper control arm, with the large ball joint.
Or the small ball joint could be adapted with a sleeve that Doctor Diff sells to do that swap.
65 to 72 A body cars used Kelsey Hayes brakes that are 4 piston calipers.

I think you have some of us confused with whats on your car to give you an accurate answer.

Pictures sure do help.

The socket I have is the big ball joint socket. The ball joints are def smaller. The lower ball joints are def different from side to side. there is no adapter plates installed. Both wheel stops are facing in. Is it possible that someone before me put a lower ball joint from a different a-body? I just want to order the right ones. The ball joint socket I have is a snap-on s9479a

That socket is for the Large. the small is S9365B

If you have a A, B, E, Body spindle (knuckle) on your car for the single piston caliper, all that you have to do is order Lower Ball joints for any 73-76 A body car, and your good to go.

That socket is for the Large. the small is S9365B

Ok so what you are saying is, the socket I have is for the large ball joint correct? If this is true then I have the smaller ball joint up top. If the ball joint has been sleeved is this something I would be able to tell if ball joint is still installed? The way Im reading the responses is that I have the later year 73- 76 set-up. I also read that if this is the case I should have larger ball joints in the upper a-arm. This I dont have. The large ball joint socket fits right over the top. With that said I still dont have an answer for the lower ball joints being different where the tie rod hooks up. I bought the car from another owner and not sure what they put on. I will get pictures tomorrow when I bring camera to work. Thanks for the help.

Take a look at the thread diameters of the upper ball joint studs coming thru the spindle.
If it's 7/16 diameter, you have small ball joints.
If it's 9/16 diameter, you have large ball joints.

Ok I just went & checked my own 69 Dart & I have the small ball joints. & I have 3 sizes of ball joint sockets.

Snap on S9479A Large
Snap on S9365B Med.

& a third with no marking's & it fits the small Moog joints in my car. The S9365B is obviously for the larger 73-76 uppers & I believe the S9479A is for the trucks.

Sorry for the confusion & hope this helps.

Ok I just went & checked my own 69 Dart & I have the small ball joints. & I have 3 sizes of ball joint sockets.

Snap on S9479A Large
Snap on S9365B Med.

& a third with no marking's & it fits the small Moog joints in my car. The S9365B is obviously for the larger 73-76 uppers & I believe the S9479A is for the trucks.

Sorry for the confusion & hope this helps.

Ok now its starting to make sense. I guess I have the truck one. Tool man comes tomorrow so ill see if he has the right one. I will also take pictures of what I have and post them. Thanks guys for the continued help.

-
Back