duster bodyline question

-

dartman 440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have this duster i am doing the bodywork on , but both main bodylines on both sides are kind of washed out around the top of the wheel wells . does anyone know if this main bodyline above the wheel well is a straight line front to back or does it have a slight bow to it over the wheel well area? any info would be great . thanks ed

I spent a lot of time making sure the body lines were dead-on and crisp. Should be a straight line, IMO.

Best i have on the computer.

Attachments

• Now.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 356
I spent a lot of time making sure the body lines were dead-on and crisp. Should be a straight line, IMO.

X2 as I did the same thing......spend plenty of time and get them straight. I actually used a chalk line down the sides of my duster when I was doing the body, to check for straightness.....it worked pretty well.

So, just how do you fix this? Seems to me that getting a straight line would be tough.

I spent hours and hours hand sanding with a board ( not and air board), with a very light coat of filler spread as evenly as possibly over the body line (several inches above it and below it) the entire length of the panel you are working on. I started by sanding above the body line down on 45 degree angle's, to the point of the conture, keeping the board flat. Then I did the same thing from below the point of the body line sanding up, forming a crisp point in the filler. ( if this makes sense) At this stage you can start to see where the body line is, and where it needs to have a bit more filler, or be sanded a little more, to achieve a straight line. ( this is a little difficult to try to explain in words) This is where I snap a chalk line on the car. It would be easier to have someone show you how to do it on a section of your car. I'm sure every body guy has a different tequnique for doing this, and tips they use. This is just what works for me.

Tape up the lines when you block. You can use some Evercoat metal glaze to speed up the process.

Attachments

• 2231.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 1975.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 1976.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 1977.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 343
Correct. And use Ever coat metal glaze instead of filler. Its thinner and easier to sand. You can also use a Poly primer instead. If you want it real straight you've got some work a head of you because they arent flat from the factory, especially the front of the 1/4s by the door jams and around the fuel filler from being stamped out.

i think i have the sanding concept down , but when i put the tape down the line is not arrow straight , it seems to go high right over the center of the wheel well on both sides ?????

they arent flat from the factory, especially the front of the 1/4s by the door jams
I really noticed this area when I was doing my bodywork this time around (although, oddly enough, I didn't notice last time, and my bodywork overall was a lot better that time lol)

ok now that i know that it is a straight line from front to back , does the line bow out around the wheel well area, you know what i mean , you cant lay a straight edge from front to back , without it hitting in the middle, or can you , i am using a string . any comments? thanks to all who have commented already , lotts of good info. ED:finga:

ok now that i know that it is a straight line from front to back , does the line bow out around the wheel well area, you know what i mean , you cant lay a straight edge from front to back , without it hitting in the middle, or can you , i am using a string . any comments? thanks to all who have commented already , lotts of good info. ED:finga:

Yes they slightly bow out over the wheel well.

-
Back