Duster Brake Pedal Freeplay

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I have had this issue for a while on my Duster. I have almost 1.5 inches of brake pedal freeplay. I have measured and adjusted master cylinder pushrod to recomended .020 gap. Still the same so I adjusted pushrod .020 the other way giving it a little preload. Still the same. From what I can see the pedal at top has a bushing that swings on a shaft so nothing really can be causing this issue at the top of pedal. This is not a bleeding issue as I have bled the brakes and brakes work.

How much brake pedal freeplay should it have and do members rides have the same. It slops around like a spoon in a tub of custard.

Last edited:
What are you working on? Year make and model.
What brake system do you have? Disks, drums and what size
Power booster or manual?
I know you said “Duster” but that could be a fwd car.
Syleng1

Its a 1973 Duster and it has Disc/Drum setup. I dont know if it can be called freeplay. When the brake pedal has returned I can pull it back another 1.5 inches. It basically is just sloppy. I have video of it but cant upload on here unfortunately.

There is nothing really stopping it from rearward up travel, just the brake light switch. Mine can be lifted a little bit, but if I remove the brakelight switch, it can be lifted a good amount. It sit's right where it needs to though, and once i touch the pedal, the brakes begin to apply.

-
Back