Duster Brakes

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
My 73 Duster Has A Slight Brake Problem, I Believe. At Higher Speeds Or Whenever I Abrubtly Brake, The Whole Car Shakes Violently. There Is A Squeek Squeek Squeek When I Am Moving. When I Put The Car In Reverse After I Have Been Driving, It Howls From The Rear Somewhere, But Not When In Drive. It Does Not Do That When It And The Brakes Are Cold. I Was Scared That It Might Be The Rear With That Howling Noise, But Furthur Diagnosis Leads Me To Think Not. I Believe That My Problems Lie In My Rear Drums Somewhere. Any Comments Or Ideas? Thanks.

Yup, pull the rear drums off and have a look. It sounds like a spring or something has come loose inside the drum and is causing the noises. Don't take a chance with your brakes - fix them ASAP!

I have a 72' Duster that made an explosive sound in the front end recently. I immediately pulled over but couldn't find anything wrong with the car externally. I started driving again and when I braked noticed a noise coming out of the front end. Come to find out after pulling the brake drum, a relatively new brake shoe had basically exploded. Luckily, no other damage so it was an easy fix. Pull the drums and have a look.

i have a similar problem with the shaking. I think my problem is because the drum is warped, and the shoes cant get a good grip on them.

-
Back