Duster Build Ideas?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I have been a member for close to a year now and have learned alot. Between here, reading alot and some wrenching I feel pretty good about getting started.

Here's the deal. I am using it for an educational tool, that is coincidentally my car when I am done. I have done this for years and built some pretty cool trucks. This is the first car project.

I was real close to doing the 440 Duster thing when I got to thinking that may not be what I need right now.

I have a 73 Duster 318 car. The only option is PS. Runs great, looks ok.

I would like the car to get decent mileage, run strong, DD able although it won't be. I also don't want to redo everything when I want to go faster in the future.

I was thinking of this for a combo:

360-I am looking it over this weekend I hope
302 heads-I found some all rebuilt for cheap
Performer intake
Summit 218-228 cam
Mild porting on the heads
Thermoquad or an eddy carb
Headers and a 2.5" exhaust
Windage tray

Chassis: updated springs, shocks, and sub-frame connectors.

Trans:

904 with 2.74 1st and Lock-up

rear:

8 1/4" with either 2.7:1 or 3.21-depends on what I can find

The idea is that once I get my feet wet I can step it up with a bigger cam, a convertor that I own, and some 4.10's later if I need to.

Thoughts Ideas etc.

I usually run all this by my buddy Rumblefish but I feel like I already ask too many questions! :wav:

Thank you, ROB

The 302 casting heads are usually used on the 318. The 308 casting heads are for the 360. Either one will fit on the block, but the 308's flow better and are more suited for upgrades to your engine down the road.

My personnal thoughts are that running the 302 heads on a 360 will limit what your engine can produce... kind of like running a restrictor plate on a carb.

If you decide to go with the 308 heads... I am looking for a good pair of 302's for a mild 318 build.

Good idea for you to run this past rumblefish... he knows about this stuff!

Good luck with your project!

I thought the same as you on the heads. However, there is a real long thread in the engine section from a month or two back where we decided that they would likely be a good candidate.

Check it out, it is pretty informative.

OK... cool, I will have to read it.

I am sure that you know this already, but the combination of the proper heads and cam set up are the most important items to pay attention to when doing a build. That is where power is either made, lost or wasted.

It is funny... it seems that the more one reads, the most confusing or contradicting things become!

What it really boils down to is trial and error through the application of various parts. Alot of what is written in these forums are compilations of other folks documentation of their own trial and error experiences.

I suppose that is why we all do this as a hobby. A hobby is doing something that you like to do, over and over again. And for most of us, we keep tweaking our cars to "get a little bit more outta her"... which is a never ending cycle. No matter how good our cars may or may not be... we are never satisfied with them 100%.

It is all very facinating... and I love it!

Take care!

I'm not afraid to come off as a bit of a newb. The truth is that I have been an avid car guy for over 30 years. I don't do much besides think about, work on and plot an plan car stuff.

There is not much need here for expertise on how to fit 33" tires under a 4x4 so I happily play the newb game.

What I am lacking is practical advice from board members who have been there. The guy that ran the .509 in a 273 with 2.45:1's.....didn't work.

I like to get it right the first time if I can. Not much money for mistakes currently.

The car is designed to be streetable for now with the idea that I will run a bigger cam convertor and gear next year.

Thanks for the thoughts, ROB

Rob,

I was looking over your plan again. I see that you have a "now" plan, and wanting to set yourself up for a "future" plan.

It takes me back to the head issue. The 302's were designed for and used on the 318 engine. They should work alright with the cam that you want to use right now.

But like I said earlier, the heads work in conjunction with the cam to make your power. Now this is purely a personnal observation, but I don't feel that you would get the maximum performance when tou go to a bigger cam in the future.

Bigger cam with better flowing heads (308's) = bigger power.

The secret is that I have a line on some Magnums for next year. I want to run what I have now. I already have one set of 302's, and then the new set.
The intake came on a parts engine.

I agree that they may stifle me in the future with my larger set-up, but I will save that for the airgap etc.

There you go.... you have got your plan, and even some of the parts to go from one set up to the other.

Stick with it and you will get to where you want it to be!

Good luck & have fun!

No offense but if you have a 318 and 302 heads, why not build up the 318 for now, you would be surprised at the power you can get from them. I dont know what you want to do in the future, but if you want to throw on a blower or some nitrous, I would stick with the 360. Just my 2 cents and no I havent read that thread on 302 heads on 360s but I will.

The other issue is budget and time as well.

The 318 is on the table until I get the 360 eyeballed this weekend.

I have about 4 318's. Three are known good runners. The one in the car is a 30K rebuild with no issues, blow by etc. A nice running engine for sure.

Thanks for the thoughts, ROB

One way to go with a first build is for example the camshaft. Come up with 2 picks. Go with the smaller of the two. An undercammed car will always be faster than an overcammed one. The same goes for intake, carb,headers,etc. See where this is going? As humans we want the best even if "the best" isnt exactly what we need. Don't be aftaid to take the smaller route at least for a first build. good luck.

My thoughts. Since the car currently has a good running 318 & budget & time are issues I'd add a mild cam, manifold & carb, & a set of headers. This would wake up what you have & could be done quickly & for a fairly low cost. The cam swap is fairly simple if you are going to change the manifold anyway. The only problem might be your valve springs, but they can be changed with the engine in the car. Your local Auto Zone might have the tool for you to use for free if you buy the springs from them. All of this would let you have a bit of fun with the car & you could save up the bucks for a serious build on the 360. The 360 could be more of a "purpose built" engine & if done over time you can spread the cost out & put the parts you really want into it.

:burnout:

I appreciate the ideas. I think I will head a bit conservative for the first go around. I do know from past experience with my F..ds that even a pretty mild combo was fun once I got the gears and all of it together. It was great.

Even that "build" was substantially less than this one. It is my intention to get the 360 looked at this weekend and then look over the spare 318 next week at work.

More information to come. ROB

-
Back