Duster Challenger -- Do you want to see it?

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
Seriously, do ya!? I do the same thing all the fab super-heros do, draw my car out on paper before I get into body work, I don't got my car yet... but I can dream meanwhile. I keep telling folks what I want to do with a duster once I get my mits on it. I'm not sure how well some of you envision what I do -- try to picture a giant unicorn, a whale and kitten mixed in a blender, then baked and sprinkled with rainbows. Yeah its kinda like that and for the imagination impaired, a pretty picture works so.. It's in beta stages, I'd probably re-draw many pictures until I get the idea perfected, clean, streamlined, body lines working with the idea and not turning into some horrendous abomination like a giant DONK caddy with 50 inch rims. Opinions, advice, suggestions!?

imag0166ii.jpg

other than the dark line i really dont see the challenger in it...

dont take offense cuz i cant draw a straight line with a ruler lol

Most people call it "You're bloody nuts" when I show them my ideas. I won't deny that it's a fabrication nightmare and requires a lot of skill and specialized tools but the results sometimes are worth it. -SOMETIMES- I buy model kits of the car and have a go at it with an xacto knife, super glue, cardboard and epoxy to get a 3D general idea. I wish I still had pics of stuff I did to other cars and my drawings/models..... but sometimes computers just hate you, commit suicide and immolate themselves out of spite. Teach me to back up my data nowadays...

Well, the challenger in it comes from blending the bumper into the body, bringing it closer to the grill as well. I love the shark tooth grill so that stays for sure, the only modification i'd do is make space for 2 extra lights -- amber yellow fog lights with the basic lights all blue-dyed. I promise I won't run halogens... Looks nice, but blinds and causes headaches for other drivers.

If i had to give it a name... I'd want to call it something cool, but it really does look like a dust-buster with shark teeth..... now I think.
images

Back half of a challenger with the front end of a duster.. add in the challenger bevel on the hood. I would just call it the F5.

It would take a ton of work to make everything fit, Challengers are longer than Dusters, the hood on a challenger goes all the way to the windshield where as the duster does not. The cowl is on the hood of the charger and not on the duster.. You would have to flatten the tops of the fenders, add length to the fenders, cut and fill in spaces to line up the body lines going down the fenders to match up with the doors... probably blend the two hoods together.. as in the back end of the chally hood to the duster hood.. then yet again fabricate the duster hood body line into the chally.. or add the chally hood into the duster... Then you would problems with the front bumper area.. I would personally fabricate a lower panel like a demon and have no front bumper.

I would just modify a duster as a chally tribute car.. give it the T/A chally scoop, no front bumper and add in a panel.. try to change the tail lights or tail panel to resemble a challenger and add in a flip top fuel cap.

Update. I like the 2011 R/T stripe on the newer ones, but am not fond of the idea of an RT hood on a duster, it just doesnt look right. Deleted the shark grill, looks more challenger-y now, disregard the light body lines its just to give me an idea of placement and location for a paint job....... trying something new that other folks haven't done IE two tone, following body lines exact and coloring in etc. Oh geez... next time ill take a photo directly over the sketch instead at an angle sitting down, it gave the perspective that I turned it into a chebby camaro. :( I am going to confuse so many people... lol rofl... feedback or suggestions would be great.

27756410150693829670643.jpg

cool. I like when people add aspects from other models into their cars....nice touch of style.

another member here (badass71) I think is his name.....he did alot off cool stuff with his dart and he did it so that it looks like it was built that way....not just cobbled together. (his actual car by the way...not a drawing)

I do the same thing. I try to draw out what I have planned before I do it so I can see what it will look like.

My duster is getting closer to done......no real cross model modifications other than the 69 valiant grille I put in it.

here is a little sketch I did a couple of weeks ago of my 72 duster (its not perfect and I didn't completely finish it) but it will atleast act as a guide line so I can keep my eyes on the prize LOL

001-2.jpg

I was reading the whole thread earlier and browsing through your pictures. At first I was confused how you had holley valve covers, edelbrock carb, mopar air cleaner then it made sense later on when you replaced them with all mopar stuff and it looked cleaner.

What it doesn't show on my drawing is the indent in the lower body line that runs along the fender. On my drawing it looks like a smooth body from a challenger, I'm spending good time thinking it over. I don't want to kill the body line indent because I actually like them, but im not sure if it would look decent with what im doing. I got some ideas, but it's really moot without a car to look at.

So far I'm going to do r3 340 race block stroked to 372 with a 11:1 compression and try to keep the parts light weight and strong. Hoping for around 250 at 2,500 rpm and around 450-500 at 6,400 rpm.

Colors up to debate, but for sure flat black/matte hood. Maybe toro red. Might use the exact same headlights on a challenger, angel eyes and basic halogen with fogs running in the bumper. It's usually easier for my project to come together when i have a car. Just sit and stare at it, it'll speak to ya and tell you what it wants to be!

I want that grill and heard others do it to there dusters so what yr grill would I need off of a valiant and what needs to be done to put it on a 73 duster

Go to his thread. It's a 69, and he mentions something about needing to drill a few extra holes and remove a bit of metal.

I was reading the whole thread earlier and browsing through your pictures. At first I was confused how you had holley valve covers, edelbrock carb, mopar air cleaner then it made sense later on when you replaced them with all mopar stuff and it looked cleaner.

What it doesn't show on my drawing is the indent in the lower body line that runs along the fender. On my drawing it looks like a smooth body from a challenger, I'm spending good time thinking it over. I don't want to kill the body line indent because I actually like them, but im not sure if it would look decent with what im doing. I got some ideas, but it's really moot without a car to look at.

So far I'm going to do r3 340 race block stroked to 372 with a 11:1 compression and try to keep the parts light weight and strong. Hoping for around 250 at 2,500 rpm and around 450-500 at 6,400 rpm.

Colors up to debate, but for sure flat black/matte hood. Maybe toro red. Might use the exact same headlights on a challenger, angel eyes and basic halogen with fogs running in the bumper. It's usually easier for my project to come together when i have a car. Just sit and stare at it, it'll speak to ya and tell you what it wants to be!

sounds like you got a plan!

and yeah.....cars will speak to you, for the most part I have known all along what I wanted my duster to look like other than a few little things here and there.

be sure to subscribe to my thread because Im always posting stuff... maybe you might see a few ideas you could use yourself.

and yes, I started off with eddy intake,carb and air cleaner and holley covers but I didnt like the air cleaner and I didnt like how everything was missmatched so I ran the eddy intake and carb and I picked up the mopar performance air cleaner and covers and did them up how i wanted and I think everything tied together nicely.

I want that grill and heard others do it to there dusters so what yr grill would I need off of a valiant and what needs to be done to put it on a 73 duster

you need a 69 valiant grill ....its a one year only grill.

I liked it for 1 because it looks cool (I think)....and 2 its was almost a direct fit into my duster, and 3 because its all metal which means no cracked plastic or busted fins...and 4 because they can be found for a decent price! ( I got mine for $135.00 shipped from a member here.....and I see them pop up a couple times a month for about the same price).

check out my build thread (link is in my signature below) to see what it looks like in the duster.

I don't want to clog up his thread with a "how to" on the grill install but if you want a bit of info ...post on my build thread or send me a pm.

A,
It looks like a 72 Duster with some extra sheet metal at the bottom of the front and rear panels.
I cant amagine anybody doing that to a Duster:toothy3:
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo188.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 774
  • Photo186.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 721
LOL LOL HAHAHA.......That is his actual car just so you know lol.

I personally wouldnt do any of that stuff either but I got to give it to missle.....he is VERY creative.....check out his build thread.....he has done alot of off the wall creative stuff to that car!

Dude, you totally trolled me lol. I have no idea what you're trying to do by inverting the bumper. Care to explain :p?

Andrew I want to see some more progress with your monster! This Duster/Challenger would be sweet and worth doing if you are serious about it.

The car always reminds me of mad max. looks like an apocalyptic beast of a duster.

P.S. hats off to you for all the stuff you have done,from the door handles,to the spoiler,to the interior and so on....lots of stuff that I don't see others doing....way to be original.

-
Back