Duster chin spoiler build

-

mwls73duster360

Bad as Buddy Holly
Reaction score
Here shortly I will be building a chin spoiler for my duster. I know about spoilers by randy. It is not that I think they are bad I just want a longer one. I will be using aluminum sheet metal for added durability and easier construction. I am still going to paint it flat black and model it more after the duster AAR spoiler minus the fog lights. I will update this thread with pics as I progress.

Attachments

• 7472233988_efc6d5ba00_z.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,056
I made the one on my duster, but I wanted to keep mine shorter, just enough to hide the lower radiator support. I made mine from black textured polycarbonite plastic ( like lexan) We make this where I work, so it cost me nothing to fab this up. It does help force air up into the trans. cooler. The best part is I made it so it uses all factory holes, so nothing to drill. Two in the rad. support, and two in the bumper.

Attachments

• my duster and trophey 001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,181
I made the one on my duster, but I wanted to keep mine shorter, just enough to hide the lower radiator support. I made mine from black textured poloycarbonite plastic ( like lexan) We make this where I work, so it cost me nothing to fab this up. It does help force air up into the trans cooler.

:cheers:looks just as good as any other ones I seen good job! The short ones are cool I just prefer the longer ones. I think the DC ones were longer too right?

ya, I think they were longer.....but to me it gives a snow plow look to the front of the car when there long. Just my opinion though....

ya, I think they were longer.....but to me it gives a snow plow look to the front of the car when there long. Just my opinion though....

I know what your saying. I looked at both kinds side by side along with the Camaro style that someone had on one. Took awhile but I decided I wanted the longer for the look when im done. I am doing quite a few custom things to this car before its finished including a shaker hood. Like the photochop avatar I made but I changed my plans to keep my hood flat black and paint the scoop to match the car.

I will for sure. I ordered the metal from a local shop so as soon as they call me we are go. I go through them because they basically sell me scrap that fits my needs for dirt cheap. so technically not ordered just waiting for them to have it lol.

I started with a peice of poster board, and made a templete, and kept trimming it, to get the shape I wanted. It also helped me determine the angle to make it.

so while waiting for the sheet metal I got and idea. I cut up an old 73 duster grill I had. it was shot anyway. took the Plymouth chrome and turn signals out. going to fab it up something like this flat black with sassy grass letters. but not sure yet if I want the lights on the bottom or top of the spoiler. also the turn signals are going to be fitted with a set of KC day-lighter guts and ran to a toggle. still some clean up work to be done on the 73 parts I cut and then paint them. I already have all the paint and supplies so this little add on cost nothing.

Attachments

• 2013-03-23 12.35.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 2013-03-23 12.12.25.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 960
also picked up this fancy toggle for the lights. has the flip cover with blue led on the tip

Attachments

• 2013-03-23 15.21.02.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 922
Sheet metal delivered today! Cost of sheet..... Free! Will start work on it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20130327_175415.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 959
Any ideas on how to roll a lip on this? I'm thinking of using a dowel put a few finishing nails threw it and hand roll.

i got a local sheet metal shop that will brake steel for me and roll it. I helped my bro in law fab a truck bed for his rat rod. they did a 1.5" complete tube roll on the top then a 35* brake. gave it that rolled edge at the top of the truck bed. took a whole sheet and make an entire truck bed side. depends what thickness your sheet is and how tight you want the roll. might be able to do it at home but i think i would take it in to a shop.

not sure what part of WA your in but the place i use is in Tacoma,

Schnider Simpson Sheet Metal. They are awesome guys there and they do sheet metal fab on a commercial level but they like helping the back yard hobby guys.

Well after digging around in the garage I found the bar to make the roll. Some times I'm glad my father inlaw is a horder lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20130329_083652.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 814

i got a local sheet metal shop that will brake steel for me and roll it. I helped my bro in law fab a truck bed for his rat rod. they did a 1.5" complete tube roll on the top then a 35* brake. gave it that rolled edge at the top of the truck bed. took a whole sheet and make an entire truck bed side. depends what thickness your sheet is and how tight you want the roll. might be able to do it at home but i think i would take it in to a shop.

not sure what part of WA your in but the place i use is in Tacoma,

Schnider Simpson Sheet Metal. They are awesome guys there and they do sheet metal fab on a commercial level but they like helping the back yard hobby guys.

I'm in Ridgefield so that's a little far lol thanks though. I used to be the cadcam designer and break manager for a shop in woodland wish I had all that stuff this thing would be done in an hour lol.

Very interested as well since I want one for my Valiant. I perfer the one on the Dustaar over the one from randys also.

Well called around to local shops and found one that will do it. Only problem is not until Monday so I might just do it my self. Or I'll at least get it all cut out so the roll and paint would be the only thing left. Ehh Idk I'm impatient lol.

-
Back