duster column shift lever removal

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
How do you get the pin out without beating the damn column to death in the car? I am going to drill it out tomorrow? Any thoughts.

Yea, broken drill bits. :D
might try rigging something to press it out, like a socket a screw and channel locks or vise grips.
Of course you will also have to protect the surfaces if you don't want them a chewed up.

Ok so this is no easy task then is what your saying? Treat it with kid gloves and dont get rammy.

I seem to remember the very first thread on this forum I ever responded too was on this very subject

if I remember correctly, the answer was heat?

but to tell you the truth, I'm considering taking a sawzall to the lever and chopping it off at the column for now

I actually thought about doing the same thing. lol But thats a little bit too BUBBA. lol

Isn't the pin a common roll pin? It is on a 65 Dart column I have. If so, wouldn't an appropriate size punch do the trick?

Isn't the pin a common roll pin? It is on a 65 Dart column I have. If so, wouldn't an appropriate size punch do the trick?

Probably, but some of the are stuck to beat hell.
I used a section of pipe under it to support the column part and was able to get it out with a punch.
Sometimes a small hammer works better than a big one too. :D

will need a better c lam this bastard is tight. looking like the sabre saw will be coming out soon

Looks like its staying in the car till i can get a mobile welder here with a torch and hope i dont burn the car down. cant find a blade to cut the ******.

-
Back