duster custom grille thoughts

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so i have a 71 duster with a regular grille and im thinking of changing it up a bit
(i dont like the looks, nor the price tag of a sharktooth grille)

so, here is my main thought
i like the slats on the stock grille BUT i dont like the way it protrudes in the center
would it be possible to take the center section and move it back so that the slats are straight all the way across?

I don't see why not. Might take a lot of patience haha. But I believe if you just trimmed the parts of the grill that protrude outward you could just move the flat section back and then use something to bond them together. Would be neat to see!

interesting... the hood latch and support are back far enough? seems like a mountain of work... the upper and lower sections of the grill would have to be adjusted too...

interesting... the hood latch and support are back far enough? seems like a mountain of work... the upper and lower sections of the grill would have to be adjusted too...

nope they aint
i just checked, it looks like the upper radiator support, or whatever you call that section is molded to come down behind the center of the grille

i guess that still leaves the possibility of leaving the center, and moving the outsides forward...but that would remain a "mountain of work"

nope they aint
i just checked, it looks like the upper radiator support, or whatever you call that section is molded to come down behind the center of the grille

i guess that still leaves the possibility of leaving the center, and moving the outsides forward...but that would remain a "mountain of work"

Maybe if you found a way to keep the outside sections in their original position and then just doing as you would on the center section it wouldn't be so much work. I believe the grille is braced on the back.. could be wrong. But yeah you're looking at double the work it would take to do it the other way. Maybe if you found a donor grille, something you could work on little by little.

ive been looking a little bit of a donor grille
i wonder i i could cut out the outer sections, and overlap them on the outsides of a second grille

that would make the whole grille look even across

nope they aint

yea - that's kinda what I thought...

ive been looking a little bit of a donor grille
i wonder i i could cut out the outer sections, and overlap them on the outsides of a second grille

that would make the whole grille look even across
humm... it would probably come out looking too thick... bulky and kinda odd...

yup

i guess i could completely gut one and start over, maybe space out the slats further, so there is room on top for the latch ?

I was thinking gut it to either side of the "nose" - leaving the nose piece - then run slats straight from there to each end, sort of at an angle... the hardest thing would be what to do with the marker lights

im afraid that would end up looking like a poorly made 69 valiant grille :(

maybe a V.Gains treatment...
2016-07-01_17-10-23.jpg

too bad you are so far away - I have a decent one I am not using, but I just won't ship it - has to be an in person transaction.. you coming to New England any time soon?

maybe i ought to sell mine for 6 or 7 hundred and just have a custom one made ;)

For shame I say this but you could make one like a 67/69 camaro. Leave the outside edges and angle it to the center then either put the markers in the new grill or put em in the bumper.

-
Back