Duster Dash Mystery- Name that missing item.

-

gdonovan

Reaction score
When I purchased my 1974 Duster a month ago it had a very odd hole in the dash to the right of the radio.

The oddest part is that it looks like it was punched in at the factory. It is perfect with no file marks with a slight inward lip with four screw marks at each corner.

Has another seen anything like this before? The car did have dealer installed cruise control, I'm assuming that there was something else dealer installed there at one time but for the life of me can't imagine how the hole was done in such a neat manner.

It has been suggested an old school LCD/LED clock could have been there as they were options back in the 70's at one point but I have not been able to find any examples of such items.

Plans are to weld up the holes and refinish the dash unless I can find out what went there.

Gary

P.S. the mark to the right side of the hole is just a piece of tape.

P.P.S. A Chronometer (with rolling digits) was an option in 74 or 75 on some cars for sure (seen them on Ebay) and don't dismiss something aftermarket being offered as a dealer option. The car does have Dana cruise control installed by the dealer.

duster_mystery.jpg

not sure, havent ever seen anything like that??? i do have a really nice complete dash out of a 73-74 duster [would have to check for sure exactly] that i will be selling at monster mopar in st.louis next weekend, would make you a good deal on it being a FABO member. that would save you from welding it up! will also have quite afew other duster parts - let me know, regardless hope to see you there!!

I'd say go ahead and fill them in. I've seen hundreds of A-body dash frames and that doesn't look like anything that I've ever seen. You didn't mention what year your Duster was though and that might be a clue. As for the clock, the digital clock wasn't even in the Chryslers until that late 70's. The early clocks were mechanical with rolling numbers.

not sure, havent ever seen anything like that??? i do have a really nice complete dash out of a 73-74 duster [would have to check for sure exactly] that i will be selling at monster mopar in st.louis next weekend, would make you a good deal on it being a FABO member. that would save you from welding it up!

The welder and I are old friends, no trouble at all!

Plus St. Louis is a bit far for me to travel for a dash ;-)

I'd say go ahead and fill them in. I've seen hundreds of A-body dash frames and that doesn't look like anything that I've ever seen.

Same here, but then again I have not seen an A-body with dealer installed cruise control either.

Yet I now own one with cruise control.

In Canada, many dealers were charging extra and installing "econometers" that simply lit a light when you stepped too hard on the gas. A hokey rip-off for sure but folks were game to try and save gas.

I can't remember how they were wired exactly but it picked up a signal from something when you stuck your foot in it. Electronic Ignition? Maybe a solenoid they installed in the carb linkage?

Anyone else remember?

pete

In Canada, many dealers were charging extra and installing "econometers" that simply lit a light when you stepped too hard on the gas.

pete

If I remember correct it was a vacuum switch that would light the left front fender mounted turn signal indicator.

I ran into one of those back in the 80's while working at the dealership, was a surprise when it light up on a road test.

It has been suggested an old school LCD/LED clock could have been there as they were options back in the 70's at one point but I have not been able to find any examples of such items.

In 1974 LCDs were still in the lab widget stage and the only LED wrist watch on the market was a Pulsar that gave you time or date and cost $425. Put my Bulova Accutron in the drawer to buy one. The technology would have been a little steep for a car accessory.
The holes could be a byproduct of the panic button craze. I had mine screwed to the dash of my '74 Charger. Whatever went in those holes wasn't factory or dealer installed.

In Canada, many dealers were charging extra and installing "econometers" that simply lit a light when you stepped too hard on the gas. A hokey rip-off for sure but folks were game to try and save gas.

I can't remember how they were wired exactly but it picked up a signal from something when you stuck your foot in it. Electronic Ignition? Maybe a solenoid they installed in the carb linkage?

Anyone else remember?

pete

They used a vacuum switch to turn the light on and off. Ran off a 1/4" vacuum hose from the manifold. One side of the switch went to key on 12v and the other side of the switch spliced into the feed wire of the fender indicator. Supposedly, it warned you that the throttle was too far open for economy since the manifold vacuum was too low. It usually came on right about the time you could detect forward motion. Sold a lot of crap like this when gas hit 50 cents a gallon.

The holes could be a byproduct of the panic button craze. I had mine screwed to the dash of my '74 Charger. Whatever went in those holes wasn't factory or dealer installed.

1) I doubt someone whould have gone to the trouble to neatly punch a rectangular hole in the dash for such an item, nor does that explain the dash lamp behind it.

2) the vehicle does have dealer installed cruise control, something else could have been installed at the same or added at a later date.

I just retired from the autotrade after 25 years in the field, installing options on used cars that are a few years old is very common.

My 75 Brougham has an LED clock that looks about right for the time period. It is mounted up higher, about even with the heater controls

2000247.jpg

My 75 Brougham has an LED clock that looks about right for the time period. It is mounted up higher, about even with the heater controls

Any close up pictures of the clock?

Never seen a hole like that. Notice screw holes are not symmetrically cut which suggests to me use of a hand drill.

You say you have the light for the radio accounted for. How about the light for the HVAC controls? The glove box light was on the right side of the glove box liner and the map light was under the dash below that.

That's my 2¢ worth.

I think it was for the switch that activated the Two-way sneeze-thru wind vents

My clock come to think of it has a square hole but not the four bolt holes. After thinking for a while I think it was for an interior aircraft lights like custom vans have in them. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10107/s-10101/p-100000154424/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000154424/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000154424 So you could see what you were doing when you were out in the sticks rolling up a big fat one. This is just going off of stories I've heard. LOL But someone could have drilled holes in the clock to bolt it down as you can pull mine right out. I will get you some measurements and pictures when I get home.

Beats the hell out of me....

I had 3 years of welding school & I can tell you that the holes were made by self tapping screws, but thats about it...

They used a vacuum switch to turn the light on and off. Ran off a 1/4" vacuum hose from the manifold. One side of the switch went to key on 12v and the other side of the switch spliced into the feed wire of the fender indicator. Supposedly, it warned you that the throttle was too far open for economy since the manifold vacuum was too low. It usually came on right about the time you could detect forward motion. Sold a lot of crap like this when gas hit 50 cents a gallon.

I had a duster that did that, never knew what caused it.:dontknow: 25 years latter I find out:-D I guess your never too old to learn:read2:

-
Back