Duster Frame Repair

-

yhzrt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm restoring a 73 Duster and I have to repair the rear frame rails. I had to cut the left side and have had a new piece made. What I'm looking for advice on is the best way to put it all together. Should I "butt" the new piece up to the frame, or "sleeve" it over the existing and weld it up. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

PS. Pics of my project are in the members restoration section.

Probably stronger if you sleeve it over. That's how Autorust Technicians sell their frame repair parts. They are made to overlay the factory rails. Of course I'm no expert. Someone else may have more experience.

Butt them and add a sleeve on the inside three sides with plug welds. Once finished it's hard to tell anything was done. Overlaying looks like junk, IMO.

If you need rear rail sections, I have some available from a few southwest/desert cars

Thanks guys. I've had the replacements made already from the old piece. I have decided to butt them and weld a sleeve on the inside.

How difficult is this process to do? What should I watch for besides measuring a million times, making sure everything is square, level and lines up?

-
Back