Duster fuel tank leaking

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
1971 duster 198 slant

I put a brand new tank in & sending unit as I’ve done many a body tanks as well other cars before. I also got new sendinfbubit gasket and filler neck gasket / seal .

I’ve installed and removed this tank 4 times now . The filler neck gasket / seal keeps leaking . So i got a new one. And still leaks . Any ideas ? All seems to be installed properly. I’ve done literally 5 darts in the past and coronet just like this and none have leaked . Maybe I’m missing something ?

1971 duster 198 slant

I put a brand new tank in & sending unit as I’ve done many a body tanks as well other cars before. I also got new sendinfbubit gasket and filler neck gasket / seal .

I’ve installed and removed this tank 4 times now . The filler neck gasket / seal keeps leaking . So i got a new one. And still leaks . Any ideas ? All seems to be installed properly. I’ve done literally 5 darts in the past and coronet just like this and none have leaked . Maybe I’m missing something ?

both gasket / seals I used are from classic industries

1. How hard was it to the filler neck into the seal?
  2. Is there any rust pock marks on the filler neck.
  3. Are you lubing the filler neck before you install it?
  4. Before you remove the tank again mark the filler neck at the seal to see how much engagement it has.
  5. Post photos of everything.

Look at the tangs on the lock ring. Note how they are "bent" so that when the ring is rotated, the ring clamps down on the O ring. Now take some pliers and gently bend them "just a little more" so they will allow the ring to tighten on the O ring a bit more. That will fix it. I've done a bunch like that. I don't understand why they aren't made with enough "bend" on the tangs to tighten up, but none of the new ones are.

I ran into the same issue with my Demon, what I found was that the tank was shifted too far towards the driver side of the car causing the fill tube to flex the seal at the tank and cause it too leak. Once I shifted the tank towards the passenger side it removed the loading on the fill tube seal. Look down from trunk with the trunk seal pulled away from trunk you can see if the seal is distorted.

Make sure you have the correct fuel neck. Duster, Demon , Dart Sport are different then Dart , Valiant, And Scamp. Also year to year they are different bends and angles. Also some attach on the inside of the quarter and some attach on the outside. Just a thought that hasn't been mentioned. Not many years are the same necks. Even the caps vary.

-
Back