Duster Glove Box Radio

-

kelleherdl

Reaction score
Will a stock cardboard glove box liner for a 73 Duster be strong enough to hold a new AM/FM/BT/CD + a Sirius tuner? Will I need to add some sort of 'floor' piece (wood or metal)? or Must I fabricate a stronger liner? Something like an aluminum knock off of the stock liner? Or better yet, is there already an option out there that will be best? Goal is to keep the stock AM in place and still be able to have modern electronics. Systems will be completely isolated with dash speaker still driven by the AM radio and new rear speakers driven by the new system (Alpine 145BT).

Dennis

The cardboard won't be strong enough. It might last for a little while, but it won't make it for the long haul.

You'd have better luck with one of the plastic glove box inserts that came on the later cars, that would be a better option. Although I would still use some kind of aluminum or wood plate as an insert even in the plastic glove box.

I was able to snag a used 75 liner on eBay. Looks like there will be a little fittage/mod, but I can handle that. Depending on depth I may need to secure the hinge and do some rear cutting. I will reinforce the bottom with an external aluminum plate.

Again thanks

Dennis

Yes, a plastic liner is more rigid & will hold up much better than the cardboard ones. Also, if your 73 is anything like my 72, you need to make your cut as far left & high as possible to clear the dash/firewall stuff that's behind the glovebox.

Attachments

• P1090159.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Glovebox Stereo 008.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,689
-
Back