Duster quarter windows

-

72_Durstya

Reaction score
Has anyone ever wondered why when the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport were designed they didn't make the rear quater windows roll down? I know they were designed to be a cheap affordable hot rod but the Dart/Valiant/Scamp all had roll down rear quarter windows so why not the rest? This is the only thing I've never liked about these cars and have often wondered if there is a way to customize the car to make it possible to have this option even though it would probobly be far more expensive then what it is worth.

Thats my 2 cents....

Your right it was all about being cheap. Some b-bodies had the pop open windows also. I myself like the the Duster windows because they are simple and they are basically in a class by themselves because of them.

My 16yr old son, just this weekend said the same thing as you that it would be cool to convert them to roll down.

Chuck

Not 100% sure if this is the reason or not. I read in one of the Mope mags about the "clandestine" development of the Duster by Plymouth, and one thing they mentioned was the radical curvature of the glass in the new design. I think they said that getting the front windows to roll down required some major thinnin' to make it work. Maybe they just didn't have the time or money for more thinnin' to make the backs go down.

My Duster has the pop out rear windows. For me, it's a good thing. I like the simplicity, plus, it makes restoration a little easier. I'm dealing with my Dart Swinger right now, and the rear rollup windows are a pain in the behind. The complete "hardtop look" of the roll downs do look a little more attractive, however. Howard

OneOfMany

" Not 100% sure if this is the reason or not. I read in one of the Mope mags about the "clandestine" development of the Duster by Plymouth, and one thing they mentioned was the radical curvature of the glass in the new design. I think they said that getting the front windows to roll down required some major thinnin' to make it work. Maybe they just didn't have the time or money for more thinnin' to make the backs go down. "

That is a good point that I never considered. I too remember reading about the curvature of the windows, from what I recall when the duster was built it had the most curvature in a window ever seen in a car, i think it was somewhere like 45 degrees.

-
Back