Duster rear end swap???

-

JamieTurner2012

Reaction score
Im buying a jeep Cherokee limited with the 5.9 to pull the motor for my 71 slant six duster and I was wondering if the rearend would be useable for my car?

Why are you going to part out that Jeep. It was a 1 year only option for the 5.9L. Let me guess.... ...it's a 98.....

Just so you know what you have before it may be too late to save it if it's worth saving.

Depending on the year yes, it should have a 8 1/4 some even have suregrips (posi traction) BUT it will be to long for the duster, and will definitely not be worth cutting down. If It has a suregrip, you could always swap it over to a easily obtainable A body 8 1/4 that will bolt right in. Now again there is a BIG but, if the car is mid 95 or newer it will have whats called 29 spline reared and nothing will interchange with a old A body 8 1/4 because they are 27 spline. Also the later Jeeps have coilover suspension that would have the be dealt with. BUT then again the rear end may have disc breaks on it and if that's the case they can be swapped out onto a A body 8 1/4 with little work. I think I covered everything.

Depending on the year yes, .

The 5.9 Grand Cherokee was only made in 98 model year. It only came in black, charcoal grey, and white. They had a small hood scoop/grille on each side of the hood about half way back.

They are pretty quick with alot of torque, but don't get very good gas mileage...

-
Back