Duster rear suspension issue

-

reefkeeper

Reaction score
74 Duster with new shocks all around... nothing fancy just OEM replacement.

While driving the new shocks have made a huge dfference in handling and noise. However, when I hit a larger pot hole it sounds like something is coming through the passenger side rear seat area. sounds horrible. Small-medium bumps and RR crossings don't seem to make it happen.

Any idea what to look for? The springs all look ok with the clips, etc. The rear mounting of the springs has what looks to be 3 positions and they are connected in the lower of the three locations.

check the upper shock mounting bolts as they get wrecked by air shocks and become loose

check the upper shock mounting bolts as they get wrecked by air shocks and become loose

No kidding, I wrecked a 74 dart in the early 80's due to jacking the rear
up with air shocks, only took a couple of weeks to punch a hole through
the trunk....

No kidding, I wrecked a 74 dart in the early 80's due to jacking the rear
up with air shocks, only took a couple of weeks to punch a hole through
the trunk....

Really? 20 years with airshocks on my Cuda and never a issue. I was just under the car yesterday putting the driveshaft back in. (Raided parts for the Duster.)

Gas charged shocks?? Make sure the right rear shock is not locked up....Whether new or not.....We've all gotten bad parts new out of the box. :cheers:

Really? 20 years with airshocks on my Cuda and never a issue. I was just under the car yesterday putting the driveshaft back in. (Raided parts for the Duster.)

Ya well, I was only 18 and thought it was cool to have 90 psi in them
because it jacked the rear way up :)

I actually removed what turned out to be a mixed pair of air shocks... one monroe... and the other... who knows.

The upper mounting studs seem to be ok when I put the new shocks on but I will give them a look when my son comes back home.

Thanks for the ideas.

-
Back