Duster rear wheel size

-

Freighttrain

Reaction score
Wondering what’s the biggest wheel and tire you can fit in the rear. Can you fit a 15x10 with out moving the springs or would a 15x8 even fit thanks for the help.

Wondering what’s the biggest wheel and tire you can fit in the rear. Can you fit a 15x10 with out moving the springs or would a 15x8 even fit thanks for the help.
I have cooker Rallye rims 15x8 with 4.50 backspace BF Goodrich p 235/60/15 tires and it is close and I mean close, had to modify my traction bars to fit ....... Have a 74 duster 225/6 if that makes a difference

Cooker 15x10s have a 5" backspace and there isn't a half inch clearance left at least not on mine

I have cooker Rallye rims 15x8 with 4.50 backspace BF Goodrich p 235/60/15 tires and it is close and I mean close, had to modify my traction bars to fit ....... Have a 74 duster 225/6 if that makes a difference

Cooker 15x10s have a 5" backspace and there isn't a half inch clearance left at least not on mine
Thanks. I’ll have to look into the spring relocation

You can fit 275's on 15x8's with the stock spring locations on a Duster. Backspace would be 4.5" to 5" depending on if you're SBP or BBP and which rear axle you have. A-body 7.25/8.25 rear axles are narrower than A-body 8 3/4's.

If you want to fit 15x10's, you'd need at least a 1/2" spring/hanger offset. With the stock tubs, a 1/2" offset, and about a 1/2" quarter lip trim you can go 295's on a 10" wide rim. Any bigger than that and you need a full 3" relocation and mini-tubs, unless you hang the tires outside the quarters and raise up the ride height.

These are 265's on 14x8 in the rear; it's very close, but I drove it for some years, even with traction bars:

moparty-002-jpg.jpg

duster-burnout-ii-jpg.jpg

If you want to fit 15x10's, you'd need at least a 1/2" spring/hanger offset. With the stock tubs, a 1/2" offset, and about a 1/2" quarter lip trim you can go 295's on a 10" wide rim. Any bigger than that and you need a full 3" relocation and mini-tubs, unless you hang the tires outside the quarters and raise up the ride height.

72bluNblu nailed it; I'm running 295/50's on 15x10 Cragars with stock located 2" overheight springs.

20161009_123402.jpg
Phase 3.JPG

72bluNblu nailed it; I'm running 295/50's on 15x10 Cragars with stock located 2" overheight springs.

View attachment 1715104361 View attachment 1715104362

Yessir, those are outside the quarters! And that's how you have to do it too, that's probably about as low as you can go for ride height in the back and still have them clear.

Also 295's, but inside the quarters. With the aforementioned 1/2" offset and quarter lip trim...
IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

Yessir, those are outside the quarters! And that's how you have to do it too, that's probably about as low as you can go for ride height in the back and still have them clear.

Also 295's, but inside the quarters. With the aforementioned 1/2" offset and quarter lip trim...
View attachment 1715104515

View attachment 1715104521
So tell me more about the quarter lip trim. How much did you have trim off the quarter.

And are those on 8in or 10in wide wheels

So tell me more about the quarter lip trim. How much did you have trim off the quarter.

And are those on 8in or 10in wide wheels

The rims are 18x10's, that's the smallest recommended width for 295/35/18's.

The quarter lip I cut back all the way to the spot welds between the quarter and the outer wheel tub. Spot weld placement wasn't exactly perfect from the factory, it amounted to about about a 1/2" of sheet metal I cut back, maybe a little less. You can see the difference from stock in this picture. At this point the issue at my ride height is the "bump" in the outer wheel tub, the lip clears no problem.
tireb-a_zps4efb0119-jpg.jpg

The rims are 18x10's, that's the smallest recommended width for 295/35/18's.

The quarter lip I cut back all the way to the spot welds between the quarter and the outer wheel tub. Spot weld placement wasn't exactly perfect from the factory, it amounted to about about a 1/2" of sheet metal I cut back, maybe a little less. You can see the difference from stock in this picture. At this point the issue at my ride height is the "bump" in the outer wheel tub, the lip clears no problem.
View attachment 1715104619
Looks great. If you dont mind what backspacing are the wheels I definitely like the look of the wheels tucked in the wheel well better than out past the quarters.

Last edited:
Looks great. If you dont mind what backspacing are the wheels I definitely like the look of the wheels tucked in the wheel well better than out past the fenders.

I don’t mind but I have a 68-70 B body 8 3/4 installed, spring perches are 42” c-c (1/2” offset). So my 18x10’s have a 7” backspace (+38mm offset). If you’ve got an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles that’s about 1.15” narrower per side, so 5.85” of backspace would be the number. 6” with maybe a small spacer is probably how I would do it.

I don’t mind but I have a 68-70 B body 8 3/4 installed, spring perches are 42” c-c (1/2” offset). So my 18x10’s have a 7” backspace (+38mm offset). If you’ve got an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles that’s about 1.15” narrower per side, so 5.85” of backspace would be the number. 6” with maybe a small spacer is probably how I would do it.
I actually will be cutting a Dana out of a ford van to go in there. Thanks for the measurements.

-
Back