Duster

-

Porkchop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found a 72' duster and wondered if anyone knew if the interior parts would work on my 74' dart. The seats are in relatively good shape, and I would like to put them in the dart.

Thanks

Porkchop

Depends on what you want to include as "interior parts". Some will, some won't.
As far as the seats go, are you talking about both front and rear, and front bench or buckets?

My dart has a bench and the duster has buckets. I would like to take both front and rear if possible and maybe the dash panel.

The floor pan was revised in '74 to accommodate catalytic convertors, and the bucket seat brackets were revised to fit. You should be able to fit them in, but may require selective use of spacers to get them to sit right, which may cause the '72 seats to be a bit higher in your '74.
Your Dart only has 4 holes in the floor for mounting a bench seat, the buckets will require eight- the four additional holes needed for buckets should have corresponding dimples in the floor pan where the holes should get drilled, but confirm the locations with the '72 seats before you drill. You will need to make up some reinforcement plates for the new holes.
Assuming your Dart is a 2 door, the rear seat bottom should be the same, the seat back may differ slightly, I'm not 100% sure on this. Also the way the seats attach changed at some point, not sure of the year- you may or may not have issues there.
The '72 dash panel (non-Ralley, I'll assume) will not have several indicator lights (EGR, seat belt, etc.) that are present on your '74 dash.
1708016215977.png

1708016236019.png

I thought 1975 was the first year for catalytic convertors on A bodies.
I thought it was '74, but you could be right- I'm never wrong, but sometimes I make mistakes... :)

Okay, did a little digging, seems '75 is the first year for cats across the board, but I see some conflicting information on whether Cali got them a year earlier, and/or whether some '74s may have already started getting the different floor pans at the end of the model year... I dunno.
OP, maybe the buckets will just drop in. Maybe you'll have to do a little finagling. I'd give it a shot.

Some 74's did have them. Not sure what was the deciding factor on what ones got them. I also believe there were some loop holes that Mopar exploited for the 1st few years.

My California sold ‘74 Duster never had a catalytic converter, and it was a June ‘74 build. Floor matches the earlier cars.

A picture of the floor of the car would answer the question about the buckets fitting pretty quickly.

The rear seat from the Duster will not fit the Dart.

I think bucket seat cars had the holes in the floor closer together & reinforcement plates spot welded to the floor pan. There should be dimples in the floor pan for the bucket seat studs though, for cars that didn't have that option.

Here’s what the non-catalytic converter floor looks like. A bench seat car will have dimples in the floor pan for the bucket seat locations. The reinforcing plates are only needed on the inside holes, the outers have structure underneath. You can see the plates on the inside on these. On a bench seat car there’s also a recess for the plates that you can see.

IMG_6172.jpeg

-
Back