dusterdales 440 Duster build

-

DusterDale

Reaction score
Hi FABO I'm finally putting this Duster build into a somewhat organized page ... thanks in advance to all that have helped with my novice questions. We bought these two cars in September 2014 and the plan is a cool Duster and to sell the Dart Sport. Both the cars have typical rust on the lower quarters, some slight trunk rust in the tire well and the Dart has it in the rear window frame. The motor that came with them is a 440 HP E ... cast crank but thats usable as Id like a mild 425-450 HP car. The rear ends are 8 1/4 which I'm ok with too as that can be streetable.

Delivery day...

Attachments

• DSC_1437.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_1441.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 216
Pulled the motor... Heads are 346 which are fine by me being open chamber for this mild build. But unfortunately the Ma Mopar induction hardened valve seats were not in that good of shape. Had to have a little head work done. Hardened valve seats installed, and new valve stem seals. Three angle valve job and a little machining on the deck surface. They still need to be finished and assembled. Valve springs are good at 130# pressure so Im going to run with them.

Attachments

• headsraw.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 205
  • seats2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 202
Valvetrain is stock rocker shaft stuff... rockers look typical wear. Im trying to reuse as much as possible

Attachments

• rocker.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 213
  • shaftfront2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 220
trying to keep it as it came to me Im cleaning up and reusing the old stuff... here's the valve covers whatcha all think?

Attachments

• cover2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 203
  • cover1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 231
Pistons are a little low in the deck ( about .42)... I hear great things about the six pack pistons ( 2355)?. They are reasonable priced. I'm open to suggestions... Id like 9:5 compression.I don't know what I have now for pistons.

Attachments

• bore4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 209
  • bores.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 194
Heres the top of the heads, machined for the new Viton valve seals.

Attachments

• stems.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 196
Nice little trays from Summit to hold goodies.. I like em. Not too sure I'll keep these stock pushrods. I'm planning on a .485ish camshaft and the heads have gotten a surfacing and I'm sure the block will need one. I'll measure for correct pushrod length.

Attachments

• valvetrain.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 196
The cam that came in this was a .509 and I was hoping to keep it. It had too much rust to save.

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 205
Thanks 70440! I'm having a great time and thanks to this site I'm actually learning things hahaa!

Welcome! You're off and running. It's a big project but the journey will be worth it in the end.

Good ole klean-strip and wirebrushing got the timing cover looking decent. Used Dupli-color engine primer to hold off the rusting till I get everything painted. Next the valve covers and oil pan.

Attachments

• 20160209_124454.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 132
-
Back