Dyeing a vinyl top

-

PlumCrazyJay

70 Dart
Reaction score
I'm thinking of dyeing the black vinyl top on my plum crazy 70 Swinger white. Does anyone have any experience with this? Seen the results? Know the costs/versus replacing the top? It has almost a new top on it (which was there when I bought it) and it goes against my grain to destroy something that's almost new. Any thoughts out there? Merry Christmas to all

Black to white is prob near impossible. Darker colors always bleed though lighter ones. Painting or replaceing are better options. $.02

I'm thinking of dyeing the black vinyl top on my plum crazy 70 Swinger white. Does anyone have any experience with this? Seen the results? Know the costs/versus replacing the top? It has almost a new top on it (which was there when I bought it) and it goes against my grain to destroy something that's almost new. Any thoughts out there? Merry Christmas to all

Here is a trick i have done on 2 other darts and it works great- go to lowes get 1 qt of oil based semi gloss or satin finish paint(in the color of your choice), wash the top with westleys bleach white, apply masking tape to all chrome, and apply paint with good quality brush that will not shed, brush strokes will disappear into the grains and no one will ever know you painted the top. apply amorall or whatever you like to maintain it

cost- less than $35
it sounds stupid but it works- i even did my door pannels that way

I have a wife that is very good on neatness and detail. She says that she would be willing to give that a try. She also says what do we have to lose. If it doesn't turn out then we'll go with a new top. This will be a spring project as winter has set in here in Nebraska. thanks for the info P. S. If and when we do it we'll post before and after pics.

I've done several using Dupont vinyl paint. It's mixed using vinyl resin instead of balancer and binder. The vinyl resin comes in low, medium, or high gloss. My Dupont book says to use high gloss on vinyl tops but it's a little too glossy for my taste. Medium isn't quite glossy enough, so the next time I have some mixed for a top I plan to have them go half medium and half high gloss with the vinyl resin.
I, too, use whitewall cleaner to clean before paint. Scrub well with a brush, rinse thoroughly with clean water, and let dry thoroughly before masking and painting.
Going from black to white will probably take 1 1/2 quarts. Just a respray in the original color to freshen up a top will take a quart. It will probably cost around $80 for 1 1/2 quarts. Properly prepped and maintained it will look good for a long time.
Dallas

-
Back