Dying a vinyl roof?

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
Anybody ever do this? Will it hold up to the elements?

My 72 Duster has the canopy style vinyl top that is an ugly shade of brown i was thinking about dying it black.
I don't wanna tear it off because it's in really nice shape.

I dyed the original vinyl top on my very first car, a 69 Dart GTS, back in 1982. Sold it in 2002 and it still looked good. I didn't change colors on it though, it was white originally and I had it dyed white to give it a fresh look along with the paint. As far as holding up to the elements, I don't know, the car was always garaged when not driven.

it won't have a shine to it when you are finished. it will also be kinda rough to the touch. it will hold up pretty well though.

im not saying this would work, but

the point of plastic paint is that it will flex and have a good adhesion

if you painted your top black with plastic paint to get a good adhesion then go over it with a semi gloss to get a shine. its not like the vyinal is flexing,

just a though! :headbang:

I've dyed tops with good success. I scrub the top a couple of times with a stiff brush and whitewall cleaner, then rinse and let it dry well. I use Dupont's vinyl paint which can be mixed with a gloss that looks just like the original top. A good job will be undetectible and hold up well, even if you change colors.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

KEV, The guy I got the Scamp from told me SEM makes a dye for it that works really well.

I got Dupli-color vinyl dye for the door panels but i haven't used it yet,i was thinking about using that on the top if the panels come out nice.

Done this many times in the past when I worked in body shops. Black is best for covering other colors. Use a vinyl dye, not paint. Follow the directions(I know...how boring) to make it come out right. You can dye most interior vinyls too, although sometimes it could wear off if it doesn't penetrate well enough. We usually just bought ours at NAPA in pint or quart cans and sprayed it with our regular spray guns.

Yes sem makes a good dye, ive dyed quite a feww tops in my time! ive found that a good stiff bristle tire brush and beleive it or not, greased lightning!!! works great pulls almost any stain or discoloration right out, as well as dirt and bird droppings!!! havent really seen much it wont pull out!! JUST DO NOT USE ON DARK DARK COLORS LIKE BLACK OR DARK BLUE! anything else is okay from my experience! And always check with your dye supplier when dyeing to see if the color you want will cover the color you have currently!! some colors need multiple trys to get it dark enough!!!

I know this is an old thread, but if Evil still needs some ideas, check out my garage. Just did mine Monday. If you look at my Restoration post, you can see what it look like before. Just another thought on the subject.
Member Restoration Page

-
Back