Dying Leather

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Has anyone done it? What did you use?

I found some bucket seats but they're grey (I want them black to match the interior). I'm not sure how successful dying the leather would be...

I've never dyed leather that had been previously dyed. I made a set of motorcycle saddlebags from a side of leather once & dyed them black with a commercially available dye (don't remember what it was, might have been from Tandy). They ended up with a black surface with bits of dark brown showing through. Kind of an antiqued finish. I later read someplace that it's recommended that when you dye something black, you should dye it dark blue first, to get a more even color. That's about all of the personal insight I can give.

'64 cuda is right about dyeing it a dark blue first. I've dyed leather and it worked great. Way better that anything else I've dyed. But I just cant recall what product I used. But they should all be about equal. Just get a dark blue or dark green first. Then do the black. It really works good on leather.

No problem, It is nice that leather actually does good with dyeing it. That way you can get the seats that you want and they will actually look good.

yeah, I was skeptical because I wasn't sure how durable the dye would be or if it would just rub off within a month of use.

As long as you do it the way '64 cuda and I suggest. You should be O.K. I suggest rubbing it in real good. I mean really get it in there. I sold the car I did it on or I'd send you a pic. But I drove the car everyday for about 2 years and it never came off.

Sweet, then I'll definitely do it that way, I would have never thought of using a dark blue or green before the black, but it makes sense to so the color is applied on a darker base.

Yep. It really has to be worked into the leather though. GOOD!!!! It is easy to do. I would work both colors in REAL GOOD!!! You should be totally good to go. You'll save yourself a large amount of money doing it this way as well.

-
Back