Dying or Painting a Vinyl roof?

-

green440duster

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 75 Duster with a half Vinyl roof (Beige) and was thinking of changing the color of the car but I like the vinyl roof; the problem is the color. Has anyone had luck dying these?? If so what did you use? I would hate to have to tear it off if I don't have to.

Thanks
Jamie

Just put a new one on in the correct color. Probably due for it anyway. Give you a chance to clean up under there and check for any rust that could be starting.

Just put a new one on in the correct color. Probably due for it anyway. Give you a chance to clean up under there and check for any rust that could be starting.

I would agree, remove, clean and paint under, install new with the color of your choice

IF you dye it I think you might end up with more problems. Think what your paint will look like with streaks down if the dye does not stick well and washes off some.

My 2 Cents

I agree, it should be replaced. But, I had a car many years ago with a top that was really showing its age. I found a product at a paint store (don't recall if it was SEM but it was in a quart can - not a spray bomb) that went on very heavy and sealed it all up with a nice uniform color - almost like a vinyl paint. It worked fine.

SEM products worl very well. Just remember Clean,clean, clean !

I had a canopy roof too, but got tired of it.
It was peeling, so I stripped it off.
Luckily, I still had a metal roof underneath, with only a few rust holes.
dusterroof.jpg

After sanding it down with a grinder, and filling the rust pinholes, and patching the a-pillars, I painted the roof with rubberized undercoat.
Someday I'll put a full vinyl roof on, but here's the result:
DusterattheBeachrear34.jpg

Yep Change That Top. There Not Very Exspensive. And You Will See Whats Underneath. It Will Shock You But Do It Right The First Time.

Hey Yuri, do you have any close-ups of that rubberrizzed undercoat that you used on the roof? Did you roll it on or spray it on?

I need to do the same thing for my '75 Dart Sport. The half vinyl is shot and rusty underneath. I'm planning on some por15 then some kind of painted on fake vinyl.

Hey guys I just bought a 75 Duster with a half Vinyl roof (Beige) and was thinking of changing the color of the car but I like the vinyl roof; the problem is the color. Has anyone had luck dying these?? If so what did you use? I would hate to have to tear it off if I don't have to.

Thanks
Jamie

If the top is in good shape now I wouldn't hesitate to change the color, I've done it many times. I use Dupont vinyl paint. It can be mixed in virtually any color you want and the level of gloss you desire. I believe high gloss is recommended for vinyl roofs. It is paint that has vinyl resins replacing the normal binder and balancer. It comes packaged ready to spray.
I spray the top with 'whitewall cleaner', scrub it with a stiff brush and soapy water, and rinse it good with clean water. I let it dry good before spraying it as water can get under the top some. I sit it out in the sun in the summer or put it in the paint room overnight with the heat on before spraying it. Easy to do, looks nice, and holds up well.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

-
Back