Dynamat or Fatmat??

-
I found that sound deadener website a couple of years ago, and based on that, I went with Second Skin Damplifier. I thought it was the best balance of effectiveness and price. I used two layers on floor and firewall, and one layer on inside of door skins (a ***** to do), trunk, wheelwells, roof, etc.

Here's a pic of the inside of Turbo Scamp:

Dash 2.JPG

On my 1970 Duster I used 1 roll of RAAMmat,2 yards of Ensolite and 1 can of adhesive. That was enough to the headliner with sound deadener and ensolite. Starting from the cowl area to trunk area just beyond the back seat.
I used Ensolite just in the cowl area and deadener in the rest. One roll will work if you are careful and measure correctly. The product is easy to work with but it is very sticky so you have to make sure of your placement before putting it down. I hope this helps.

for posting 2.jpg

for posting.jpg

Has anyone heard of Dynomat, I ran across this when I made a typo. I was looking at the price and it is pretty cheap. Just don't know anything about it. I will be doing mine soon this is a good topic.

Okay, you guys with the beefy motors, nice exhaust setup and sound deadener installed, tell me one thing: Can you still hear your motor???

I bought the FatMat figuring something would be better than nothing.... besides, the price was right. I deleted the stereo in my car figuring I'd need a bit of horsepower in the dash to compete with the noise. I just wanted to barrier some of the road noise, but heat was the real issue. I hate roasting when cruising.

Barracuda305-vi.jpg

After I POR-15 the floorboards I'll finish up the interior.
Fastback: Have you got this car down the road yet? Want to find out how much, if any, noise you were able to knock out with the FatMat.

nice topic,, i was aboutto start this topic,, im looking for some thing in my b cuda,,mainly for floor and fire wall heat, big tube headers make s a lot of floor heat,, what is this ensolite product ??

My exhaust is just too loud. I may do different mufflers at some point, but can anyone comment on how well a sound barrier on the floor & firewall will reduce the engine exhaust?

Make sure you do under the rear seat, and the seat divider/
there is none, to very little sound deadner, there from the factory.

headlinerproject64Valiant035Medium.jpg

Oh yeah!

Ensolite is a closed cell foam intended for sound absortion.

just a foam bare nto wrapped in any thing?? mostly for audio i guess,,thanks

Ensoilte is used with Raammat. It is another layer of sound deadener. The two work great together...

And yes...you still hear and feel the engine....just not the heat.

It did quite the ride down though...nice and solid feel...no crazy little rattles.

Did my duster in RAAMmat...if I do another car...I'll use it again...

Very sticky though...the black stuff will get all over you when you apply it... You could put foil tape on the edges to avoid it...but to much work for that...

Aloha

I just heard about this one this morning in another forum email. I don't know anything about it personally but wanted to toss it out there just in case.

http://www.thermotec.com/

Their home page says "Thermo-Tec provides exhaust and heat protection solutions for every type of motorsport and automotive application." There isn't a lot of info on there yet but you can download the catalog.

Ensoilte is used with Raammat. It is another layer of sound deadener. The two work great together...

And yes...you still hear and feel the engine....just not the heat.

It did quite the ride down though...nice and solid feel...no crazy little rattles.

Did my duster in RAAMmat...if I do another car...I'll use it again...

Very sticky though...the black stuff will get all over you when you apply it... You could put foil tape on the edges to avoid it...but to much work for that...

Aloha

thanks for the info on rammm mat there is another system that also requires 2 layers first layer down is about 1/4 inch thick,,and very heavy in weight,the 2nd layer is light weight looks like foil,, i have seen it at street ord events, they hold up a digital thermometer and it shows that it blocks a lot of tempature,, sorry i foget the real amount,,but its a ton of heat,, but the 2 layers together are very heavy,,and not cheap either the name of the system is INSULSHIELD.NET if any one wants to check it out

similar to what i was talking about,, but the second layer there looks more plyable then what ive seen in others,,,thanks

Fastback: Have you got this car down the road yet? Want to find out how much, if any, noise you were able to knock out with the FatMat.

One of the first things I noticed was how much quieter it was inside the car. And as far as heat, I finally got my heap together in Oct. so it wasn't really all that hot out. But there was a noticeable difference in how warm it WASN'T inside the car from the exhaust.

100 sq. ft. is enough to do an entire floorboard and inner roof on a fastback.
SANY0008-vi.jpg

First I coated the floorboards with POR-15. Pint can did the entire floor.

SANY0013-vi.jpg

Then I applied the FatMatt everywhere including around the wheel wells since they looked like they'd amplify noise behind those big side panels.

SANY0014-vi.jpg

I bought a 100' roll on e-Bay for about $100 shipped to my front door.

SANY0004-vi.jpg

Just make sure you measure where your seat belt holes are BEFORE you apply the mat. I didn't do this on my headliner and it caused me some anxiety installing my shoulder belts!

scan0009-vi.jpg

BTW: I just recenly found some OLD pic's of when I first got my car....

SANY0001-vi.jpg

Look at how big those damn bushes grew! THAT'S how long it took to get the restoration done! :-D

The Raam mat seems to follow the contours of the floor better.

How much did you guys use to cover the floor and roof ?

100' roll was plenty for my car's floor & inner roof.

A 50' roll of RAAMmat did my floor (and toe boards but not firewall), roof, and door skins with leftovers. Adam is right - it does form very well. No roller required.

I check out the name of the stuff tomorrow in the shop as i have whats left from a 5 gallon bucket. You can get it in 1 gal. containers. It is a latex with suspended ceramic beads that was used in the space shuttle program. It can be applied with a brush, roller, or spray rig. Now here is the part fstfish is wanting. 1/8th inch has an R value of 60. I put this on the floor and firewall of my 72 duster with great results. I gave $150 for a 5 gal bucket but well worth it. I'll get the name in the morning and post it for ya. I believe it has a place to call also to get some if anyone would be interested.

Bill, I think you have the same stuff I do -- LizardSkin Ceramic Sound Deadener. I haven't tried it yet because, according to the owner of the company, a gallon won't be enough to do my whole Fastback including inside the doors; I've been holding out for another gallon before I start the work. I haven't opened the first gallon yet and still have the receipt, so I've been following this thread closely.

Thanks for all the great input guys! Keep it coming.

OK folks, here is what i have in the shop and have used for keeping the heat out of the car.
Insul-All
15 mil = R18
Ceramic Insulation Coating
Tempcoat@aol.com
Temp Coat Brand Prod.
P.O. box 725
La Place, La. 70069
order/info 800 950-9958
Span-World Distribution
8 yr warranty
I think it will be helpful in doing your car and i would not recommend it if i didn't believe in it. I own no part of the company but am ready and willing to help you guys and gals on this FABO board. Check em out.
Leanna: Tell us more about the stuff you have. please.

anybody know how many sq ft in a 69 fastback floor area total ? what about the inner quarters and inner doors ? I was thinking 100 or so , think 2 rolls of the raammat and 7 yards of the foam ?

-
Back