Dyno a 7.5:1 400? Sure, why not?

-
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad?) With either of these heads?
And do you think this combo will work okay? See anything that might work better?

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad?) With either of these heads?
And do you think this combo will work okay? See anything that might work better?
I had stock 440Source heads on a 440 and they seemed to work alright, a friend has them on his 400 and that's a stout engine, in a 69 Super Bee.

The 400 is the most under rated engine in the whole Mopar universe. The quickest and fastest dead stock Mopar I ever owned..and this includes Hemi and Six Packs, was a 72 Roadrunner 400 4 speed. Car had a 3:55 gear, no options and with ONLY a basic supertune ran effortless 12.80's on street tires.
True, I never came close to duplicating those numbers with another similar stock 400, but that one happy freak made me a believer.
I know, old thread.....
I took a stone stock 400 2bbl and put it in a D150 truck. Never removed the heads, timing chain cover or the pan. Only additions were used headers and a 4bbl. Went 14.50 with automatic and 3.21 gears. I was impressed.

I wonder how similar a 413 with egge piston's would be? Just asking for a friend.

I would think an engine like this would be a great candidate for a 8-71 blower setup (even though I'm sure the engine is long gone). I've always wanted to buy a gutted out duster. An old motorhome 400/440 with forged bits. Drop an 8-71 on it. And absolutely thrash it. I bet you could build a 10 second car like that for PREEEEEEEETY cheap.

Well the piston is L2355. If you went to the RPM cylinder head it will only make everything better. With that piston, zero deck height, .039 gasket and the 84cc head you'll only be at 10:1 compression. Check piston to valve clearance carefully as I had to flycut the L2355 pistons on 'Pop's 440' when we went to the roller cam.
L2355’s are for 440 not 400’s I think. I know old post.

L2355’s are for 440 not 400’s I think. I know old post.
Yes that is correct. If you look back over all the posts you will see that dukeboy and I were talking about a 440 when we were discussing the L2355 pistons. Notice when you quoted me? I had to flycut the L2355 pistons in Pop's 440.

Yes that is correct. If you look back over all the posts you will see that dukeboy and I were talking about a 440 when we were discussing the L2355 pistons. Notice when you quoted me? I had to flycut the L2355 pistons in Pop's 440.
Ok thanks! I’ve been lookin for some 400 forged pistons and thought I’d missed something. I know the forged low comp over bore 440 pistons can be used, but have to be milled. Thanks.

I bought a '76 Gran Fury Custom Suburban wagon with a 400HP and 3.21 gears from a guy for $100 back in 1999. Drove it for a while, loving it, but decided to do an RB upgrade. Using a '75 Imperial 440 shortblock (re-ringed and full-grooved mains, etc.) and a Crane CCH302 cam (.504/.528" lift) with Hi-Intensity (Rhoads-like) lifters, it ran low 15s in the 1/4 mile in second gear. I stayed in it to see where third gear would come, and the shift light came on at the first return road for the 2-3(the strip had 3 exits). I used '69 C-body HP manifolds and 2.5" duals all the way back with 4 mufflers to quiet the thing down. Used a '69 Road Runner (11") torque converter, which required a big plate/fin type cooler to keep from boiling the fluid on a hot day. That beast weighed 5300# with me aboard but was a hoot. If a '68 Road Runner/383 was rated at 335hp, weighed 3600# and with 3.23 gears and could run high 14s, I know I had to have over 400hp to run those numbers in that sled. MoPars can be a load of fun on the cheap, usually with castoff stuff or the right shelf speed shop items.

I bought a '76 Gran Fury Custom Suburban wagon with a 400HP and 3.21 gears from a guy for $100 back in 1999. Drove it for a while, loving it, but decided to do an RB upgrade. Using a '75 Imperial 440 shortblock (re-ringed and full-grooved mains, etc.) and a Crane CCH302 cam (.504/.528" lift) with Hi-Intensity (Rhoads-like) lifters, it ran low 15s in the 1/4 mile in second gear. I stayed in it to see where third gear would come, and the shift light came on at the first return road for the 2-3(the strip had 3 exits). I used '69 C-body HP manifolds and 2.5" duals all the way back with 4 mufflers to quiet the thing down. Used a '69 Road Runner (11") torque converter, which required a big plate/fin type cooler to keep from boiling the fluid on a hot day. That beast weighed 5300# with me aboard but was a hoot. If a '68 Road Runner/383 was rated at 335hp, weighed 3600# and with 3.23 gears and could run high 14s, I know I had to have over 400hp to run those numbers in that sled. MoPars can be a load of fun on the cheap, usually with castoff stuff or the right shelf speed shop items.

But tell um what's it's capable of "NOW". lol

-
Back