Dyno tuning ?

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
Here's the dealio - we got my newly built 340 running good BUT - simply bolted the 770 Avenger on out of the box and set timing to what "worked". Obviously (500 mile break-in done) it's time to get it dialed in right. Is paying for the dyno time worth it, or are the differences with a weekend warrior (hard street driving - occasional track) noticeable ? I know of a few reputable speed/performance shops that don't have dynos but heard are good with Holleys and performance tuning - do I spend the extra and take it to a dyno ? Mild 340 (clone of the Dulcich 400 HP build).

I'd start out with a stopwatch and a stretch of country road.

Run from 2000 to 5000 RPM in 2nd gear. This allows a good load on the engine, should eliminate wheelspin (mostly) and keeps the top speed down.

Do the timing first, vac advance disconnected and plugged. Advance 2-3 degrees at a time until you quit going faster or get detonation. Write down the setting and air temp.

Then do the primaries (disable the secondaries) go up 2 jet #s until you quit going faster. Then hook the secondaries back up and repeat 2 jet #s up until you quit going faster. In either case, you shouldnt be too far from the out-of-box settings. Don't be surprised if you can actually go a step smaller and not slow down. Don't forget to keep notes!

This is a whole lot cheaper than dyno time, and should get you close. Heck for what a couple hours on the dyno costs, you can probably pay for several nights of "test and tune" at your local track.

IF your unsure of what your doing, there nothing like
taking it to a reputable tuner who does know what there doing.

An chances are they might spot are thing or two on your setup
they can quickly adjust or improve on.

Id rather spend the money an be sure my cars at its potential,
then save it an not be sure.
Just my opinion...

Let us know how you go!

This is my personal experience with a dyno tune brought my car to a very reputable shop that basically does nothing but dyno tuning and nitrous installations..he made adjustments timing,jetting ect picked up some h.p. and tq...took it to the track the car went SLOWER,put the adjustmaents back to where i had them,and the car was running the number again..lesson learned.there is no better tool then going to the track and test and tuning in real world results..dynos might be good for some but,i'll never use one again unless it's for breaking in a motor and even then the price better be right..

Unless the wether stays very close to the same all year round where you live. The tune will be off as soon as the wether changes any way. It is not a set it and forget about it thing. My thinking is you may as well learn to do it your self unless you want to take it to a tune place every few months.

Damn carburettors. lol.

Thats what i prefer about fuel injection.
Weather still affects injection too,but no
where near as much
as it would affect a carburettor.

Thanks all - weather's pretty darn consistent down here (Florida). I built the motor myself so guess I oughta learn how to make it run best !

What's it cost to dyno tune the rig?

I'd buy an LM1 with rpm converter and use that to help get you in the neighborhood of tuning the carb.

-
Back