E-85 fuel

-

log_zol

Reaction score
Just hopeing for some input, I am thinking about trying out the e-85 in my dart. I do not know of any reason why it wouldnt work, it has 105 octane and its cheaper. Thanks in advance.

i probably wouldnt do that. i hear ethanol will dry out your gaskets. and here is a thing i got from a website.
"Q: Can I use E85 (ethanol) in my gasoline vehicle?
A: Some automakers have recently been building E85 capability into all instances of certain of their models; for example, all 2003 DaimlerChrysler vehicles (cars and minivans) with their 3.3-liter V6 engine can run on E85. However, in general a vehicle must be tuned to use ethanol; its requirements for fuel-air mixture and spark timing, in particular, are significantly different from those for gasoline. The vehicles I mentioned above have sensors in their fuel lines to tell their engine computers what mixture of ethanol and gasoline is in their tanks, so the computer can tune the system to run properly on that mixture. If you try to put E85 in a vehicle not designed for it, it will run extremely lean, if it runs at all; I have heard of hotrodders "re-jetting" their carbureted 60's and 70's muscle-car engines to run on E85, but that means the cars can't run on gasoline without undoing the modifications! In addition, ethanol is somewhat more corrosive than gasoline, and it may damage the fuel system of a vehicle not designed for it, though I think all vehicles sold in the U.S. can run up to 10% ethanol (E10, or gasohol) without problems. So check your owner's manual, and don't put E85 in the tank unless the manual says the vehicle is designed for it; on the other hand, you may already have this capability and not know it!"
http://www.altfuels.org/faq.html#q6
hahaha this is a weird coinsidence i just gave an informative speech on flex fuels today.

oh, and i would like to find out how to re-jet my carb to run on e-85 that would be awesome. since i will be getting rid of my slant 6 soon anyways not like it would hurt much if i blew it up lol. time to do some more research. :book:

I have seen a sticker on the pump where I buy gas that says 10% ethanol. They still have the same price every one else has. If it's cheaper to produce... where's the price break? :sad2:

well i dont think 10 percent is enough to save anyone anything more than a cent or two when you are so far out of the midwest or away from a major ethanol producer. the ethanol gas is getting more and more popular so pretty soon hopefully you will get to see bigger price breaks in places like texas and california. i think i read somewhere that if this caught on the prices for e - 85 would settle around 1.50 or lower. right now in wapun wisconsin its goin for 1.99 a gallon, boy would i love to pay that lol,instead of this rediculous 2.85. glad i sold my jeep when i did.

When they changed the formula here in Kali about 10 years ago. They did this for winter grade and summer grade fuels. They oxygenate the fuel for winter to help cars run more efficient in winter.<--Load of crap in my opinion. There were bulletins sent out to us drivers from AAA explaining the more common car fires that became a big problem. The new fuel was wiping out older hoses and seals causing major leaks in the systems and causing cars to go up in flames. That tends to be a problem in my opinion. But it's better for the environment. All those pollutents that could of been put into the air with the old fuel versus the stuff put into the air by the burning cars. I see no problem with running alcohol just take into consideration you should run a top end lube, it dries out non-rated parts when they sit, and it causes moisture to build up in the motor. But the E85 mix I don't know the exact %of alky.

My take:

Oyxgenated fuel is a load of crap. It's supposed to help the enviroment, but it adversely effects fuel economy, causing you to use more fuel..which in turn puts more pollutants in the air. The chemical used has also been found in groundwater and is hazardous to the human body. This is the other reason they are moving to Ethynol. The companies are refusing to produce the chemical because the government put super tight restrictions on production and transport..yet THEY are the ones that said they had to use it.

Using the 10% Eth will use 10% less fuel, but don't bet on seeing a price drop. The oil companies must ship the Ethynol seperate and mix it with the gas at the local tank farms. This means a larger shipping and distriution network. Basicly it is saving oil volume for the nation, not the consumer. I have also heard rumor that 90/10 mix hurts mileage also, which once again means we'll be using more fuel.

Why the hell don't they just come out with a synthetic gasoline? You can't convince me it can't be done.

They do have synthetic gasoline, most race fuel is synthetic that is why it does not go up as the fuel prices go up. I have been paying $5.25 gal for 110 race fuel for two years now.

The nazi's developed synthetic gasoline during WWII because they had no or limited supply of petroleum gasoline.

I knew the Nazi's were using it to fuel their Tigers, but I didn't know race gas was synthetic!!

Cool....

To heck with the gov and the enviroment, I say if you can afford it, drive gas hogs and help use up the petroleum so that everybody will quit their bichin and whinen. I drive a jeep and my dart daily, and try to use up as much gas as I can in the process, maybe once we either "run out" of petroleum or show that they are bs'n everyone about "running out" they will quit jerkin us around. Freakin country isn't even run by REAL americans anymore, we been infiltrated by a bunch feminist commie hommo's and the world will have been done a favour when a meteor hits washington, dc. Good ridance. :thumblef:

I run the ethonal gas in my dodge ram and its great.Its a 10% mixture and its also a 2-3 pionts on the octane meter better and is the same price as the regular gas.I go to a cettain sation to get it and fill the tank,and runs clean and keeps the injectors and valves cleaner.I ahve No problems with it and to me it works.IF you run a pure ethanol fuel,YES you have to mod the fuel system to deal with the fuel,and add 3-4 ozs of ATF oil to the fuel to help lube the internal parts.THIS IS ONLY FOR 100% FUELED CARS WITH ETHANOL.Mrmoaprtech

By the way Rastaswinger. The Jeep you sold can run on Flex fuel too if it was the 4.0L. They quit making the 4.0L because it was a smog hog. In order to keep it in production longer Daimler Chrysler said hey we can run it on E10 or greater and reduce smog emissions. The 4.0 was a great engine. I've had my Jeep for years and have never had a single problem.

E-85 is a good deal per gallon at betwen $1.50 to $1.80 but the problem with e-85 is you have to burn twice as much for it to run properly with a gas engine you want the air to fuel ratio to be 13.7 to 1. with e-85 the fuel raito needs to be 6:1 so the cost to run the vehical would be roughly the same with gas or e-85. but at 105 octane i say its worth it. And e-85 will not eat the seals from your fuel system but alcohol will. thats why you have to have a special carb setup to run alcohol..

I just got the latest Car Craft magazine. They have an article on converting to E-85. The engine makes more power on E-85! My engine likes really high octance. This may be a good solution. It is cheaper per gallon, but your mileage goes down. Any one else read the article and have an interest? I'm ordering a new carb anyway, I may try the change.

Greg

I read the car craft article the other day. sounded to technical for me but I cant even get my slant 6 running. I live in waupun WI and we can get e85 here for $1.99 though.

I was listening to Don Imus' program (Imus in the morning) a couple of weeks ago.GM gave him some flex fuel vans for his ranch. He said they get about 22 mpg on gas and 19 on E-85. Said he did not notice any difference in performance.

I am still leaning towards giving it a shot. I'll have an extra carb I can play around with. The change doesn't seem to make any permanent modifications to the carb. I want to get a wide band O2 sensor to help with the tuning.

Greg

Yeah! I think the extra volume of fuel will help keep things cooler in that blower. And it's way cheaper than race-gas.

Greg

-
Back