E-curve settings.

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
Trying to wrap my head around this. Say I want 34* total timing.... Do I go off the crank for the 34* at idle then set it for a 20* curve to get 14* initial?

What ignition system are you using? Normal procedure it to find how much initial you engine likes and then modify the curve from that.

This is a newer type of programmable ignition from MSD, so not many will have used it. It does sound like an easer way to dial in timing. Have you locked out your distributor already? What do the directions say? Have you called MSD's Tech Support line?

I am curious to know the answer to this question too, as it will provide insight into how the system is configured.

CLEAR AS MUD....

Rotate the engine to TDC then to 12° - 15° BTDC. With the rotary switches set to "1" and "7" (These
settings will be used to start the engine and adjusted later.) install the distributor with th rotor pointing
to the number 1 spark plug wire and start the engine.
With the engine running and a timing light connected, adjust the timing to the desired Total Timing.
(Example 32° without vacuum advance) Once you've set the total timing, turn the engine off and
remove the distributor cap. Set the rotary dials to achieve the desired timing curve (Figure 3 and 4).
For example with total timing set at 32° and the rotary dials set to "2" and "9". The engine will idle
at 12°, timing will start to advance at 1,100 rpm and will be fully advanced by 3,500 rpm, plus a 15°
vacuum advance at 10 in-Hg (inches of vacuum).
If your balancer does not have any timing marks, MSD offers timing tape kit PN 8985

Trying to wrap my head around this. Say I want 34* total timing.... Do I go off the crank for the 34* at idle then set it for a 20* curve to get 14* initial?

Looking at the chart that sounds right. After getting it running from the basic setup instruction set your timing to the desired total timing degrees (less any vacuum you may want). Lock down the distributor, shut it off then set switches to either H,G,F or E combinations.....

So setting of "0-6" gets you all in at 3000 (curve F) with 10 degrees of vacuum advance at 10" of vacuum.

The E-curve does have a place to hook up the vacuum advance. At least the ones they sell today do. The nipple is on the bottom of the distributor. It is an electronic sensor that reads the vacuum signal, the same way the vacuum diaphragm did before.

If you don't want it just cap it. It only works when vacuum is sensed. Which makes me wonder about a boost retard version.... :)

-
Back