E/T's with MP 312 mech cam S/B

-

Ledfoot

Reaction score
has anyone tried the MP 312 mech cam in a small block?, just wondering what some have run in E/T/s using one

have one here I'm going to use, my car weighs 3,400 lbs, 4.89 gears, 29 inch tire, 1-7/8 primaries, heads flow 283 cfm, 727 trans, stroked 360 will be 379 ci, car not running yet

What lift cam is that? Although you posted your head flow numbers you didn't state at what lift. Does the cam lift match the peak flow lift? If not than you could do better for a cam.

the cam is .590 lift & the heads flow 283 cfm @ .600 lift

I have used the 590 cam in several engines. It's a good grind but you could probably do better. However if you already have it, go for it.

I've been 10.80 with that cam in a 360 with W5's.

What you need to consider though is valve lash and some pushrod flex to get your net valve lift, what you want to achieve is max lift at max flow and hold the valve open there as long as possible.

So your .590 lift cam is actually going to net out at about .570 which is .030 below your peak head flow. You're leaving some horsepower on the table that way.

if it got me into the 10's that would be great, I have a better set of heads on the bench ready for porting but will start with the other set first, later on a different cam etc

-
Back