eagle stroker crank-does the block need to be machined?

-
I'm very interested in the stoker motor world right now myself and oneday would like to build a stroked out 360 since right not I have the 273. I'm not sure how you would do that since the rods is what is going to make contact with the block more than the crank itself if I'm correct. So a mock up would have to be done in order to find out where the the clearance needs to be would you think?

Check this out:
http://www.coopofdoom.net/stroker.html

The block does get clearanced, but not for the crank. Just make sure you order the crank for the 360 sized mains. The bottoms of the bores get notched for the bottoms of the connecting bolts. It's not much, but they will hit with H beams and cap bolts, or I beams using std nut and bolts on the rods.

It depends. If it's a Magnum block and I beam rods no, or at least not on my Magnum 408. I didn't have to notch anything.

According to Eagle, if you use their entire rotating assemble (crank, pistons, and rods) NO CLEARANCING of the block is required. I have built 2 magnums and didn't have to do any cutting.

Of the 3 sets of Eagles I've used (all H beam with cap screws) they all hit. Not much, but they all required work. It's the rods that determine how bad they hit. I havent used real nice I beams yet, but I'd think they would also require the bottoms of the bores be nothced.

Turned my Magnum over many times, no clearancing, no problems. However, that's on a Magnum block using I-beams.

Agreeing with Moper and the others here. Magnums dont need it but the LA-Series does. Possilby the SIR series of rods they have (Eagle) they may clear with out any clearanicing. I am not totally sure just yet on all of it but I will be in a few months.

I used a Mopar Forged crank and Eagle H-Beam Rods. I had to clearance about a 1/4" at the bottom of the cylinder. See Pics Below...

clearance.jpg

clearance2.jpg

Whats the big deal if you do need to clearance?A bit of buzzing with a die grinder and presto your done.It's just the bottom of the bore after all.

Personally I wouldnt base my rod choice on whether or not they need clearancing.Just my .02...

-
Back