Earliest Production A-bodies

-

2sixtynines

Reaction score
I have been dealing with a dilemma for the last several months now and am quite perplexed as to what to do. I purchased a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda back in March of this year. Was gonna be a parts car for the other two that I have, a fastback and a notchback. Trouble is when I started looking the car over after getting it home I discovered that it was built on August 7, 1968. The first week of production for the 1969 model year. It is a silver fastback with a red interior. Could it have been one of the first Barracudas made that year or maybe the first fastback or even the first Silver fastback. the questions are endless. Now i'm wondering, should I still use it for parts or semi restore it. It has no motor, no trans, no brakes and needs floorboards and quarters,which I have, along with much other body work. The notchback I have would be more practical to restore since it is a Modtop car. My fastback is nearing completion and I'll need another project to work on. Would really like to hear some opinions on what other people would suggest doing. The sequence number is 100962. Would also like to know if there are any other 1969 Barracudas out there with below 101,000 sequence numbers. and while we're at it how about any other A-bodies from 1967-72 with under 101,000 sequence numbers.

Attachments

• 6775-1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 274
Sounds like a great color combination, do you have a photo of the fender tag? Is there a broadcast sheet? Some early cars were used for promotional purposes, so the fender tag & broadcast sheet could provide more clues.

Got no broadcast sheet, but do have a fender tag. That's how I know it was a silver car. What little silver paint is on it doesn't look much like silver anymore. It has a lot of different colored panels and a good deal of primer on it now.

Attachments

• 6757.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 247
There's a pilot Valiant on here, it'd be cool to see a pilot barracuda too. Also I love the Modtops!

Is there any way to find out how many Barracudas might have been produced within the first week of production for the 69 model year. Did Chrysler have a set routine that they followed at the beginning of a production year such as a certain amount of cars being built from each line such as x amount of Chargers, Darts, Cudas, etc.,etc. Where might one look if trying to find out Chryslers assembly line procedure?

There is no way to know that.

Sometimes the VON on the fender tag can provide a clue if the car was built with a special purpose in mind.

-
Back