Early 8 3/4 axle shaft interchange

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I am about to grab some axle shafts to build my rear end for my dart but want to confirm that I can actually use the third member that I have. Its an early case from 1957 I believe, its a 741 case with 4.10 cone type sure grip.

Would regular a body axle shafts work? I know that the cone type needs different bearings to work which isnt a problem. I read that the difference was the thrust block, but that it only applied to the open differentials, and that the thrust block was the same for all sure grips including those prior to 63-64 or whenever the changeover year was.

Is this correct or is that third member I have pretty much useless?

If it's a 741 case it will work just fine with your later A-body axles. And, if it's a 741 case the oldest it should be is 1965.

'57-'64 used the 657 case. Same 1-3/8" pinion as the 741. The 657 was discontinued for '65 and the 741 started.

The 742 case also started in '57, but it ran until '68.

'57-'64 used tapered axles, but the centers are interchangeable with the later axles too.

The difference is in the type axle bearings you are using. If your using the factory taper bearing than it will work with the thrust button in your cone sure grip. If your using the Green style sealed bearings than your going to have to remove the thrust assem. or more than likely you will have to shorten the axles a small amount to get them to slide all the way in. And thrust button styles changed between the clutch SG and the cone SG you have. The change was around 69.

It's a 57 case, but it's a 983 case, had this discussion earlier and I think the consensus was 741. But I don't have axle shafts yet, i need those still, but I want to find stuff locally as the enhange rate is horrible so ordering from the states isn't gunna happen! So getting the green bearings to work may be more work than it's worth?

Can I get a set of axle shafts with the regular taper bearings or modify for the green bearings? Because the axle shafts I'm looking at locally have green bearings

983? Or is it 985? If it is a 1634985 that is the early 742 which was produced from 1957-1964.

It has 10 I believe, and says 8 3/4 on it. I had another thread about what it was and everybody thought it was an oddball third member too

It has 10 I believe, and says 8 3/4 on it. I had another thread about what it was and everybody thought it was an oddball third member too

I remember that thread. Since then I tried to do some research and i found others that have the same housing but i really couldn't find out a whole lot about it other than it is the same as a 741.

The third member fits into the housing just fine, so I don't know what it is but it will work.

Also I got some moser axle shafts. From what I understand a stock axle shaft length is 27 11/16ths. They say they are stock a body axle shafts, but when I measure from the spline to the outside of the flange I measure 28 3/16ths. Yet measuring the spline to the inside flange I measure the correct 27 11/16ths.

I'm confused here, do I actually have the right axle shafts?

-
Back