Early 8.75

-

74duster

Reaction score
I picked up an early (I am told its from the 50s) 8.75 rear end for almost nothing, and I don't know much about it. The thing that is most noticable, is there is a large nut on each side in the middle of the drum. It is complete, and has a sure-grip tag on it.
I am trying to figure out whether or not to spend any time/money on it. If I use it, it will have to be narrowed to fit in my 74 Duster. Are these early units strong enough to warrant the expense? If not, will the center chunk work in a newer housing?
The car right now has a 198 slant six, with a three-on-the-tree and a 7.25.
What I intend to do, is put in a 413, 4-speed and 8.75.
If anyone has any info or suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.
Thanks,
Rob

It depends on the exact year of it, late 1957 to 1974 interchange, before this date, they are a completely different animal. Plus the early ones with the flange and nut on the axles don't use the standard axle retainers and adjusters so the early housing really are not that desirable.

word of advise.don't waste your time.you have to have pullers to disassemble each side.they are a poor design.if u need an 8.75 that bad i could sell u one for 150 for the housing but you would have to change the pads and width

-
Back