Early 904 - worth rebuilding

-

Dead End Kid

Reaction score
I've seen posts on 904 vs 999 vs 727, and have tried to find out if a pre '72 904 is worth going to the trouble of getting rebuilt. For now it is behind a mild 318, but it appears that even a higher stall converter would be hard to come by. I do plan on upgrading the '18 and will upgrade the trans at that time, but for now, and the forseeable future I don't have that extra grand+ sitting around.
Thx.
Mac

If your only going to run the 318 the 904 would be the best for it. Their lighter and they use less hp to turn and it will last forever if built properly behind a teen.

Fishey, when I upgrade, I plan on upgrading to a 360, like what you run. But it appears you are running the 727.

I know that the 904, in general, is o.k. and can probably live up to anything I will probably throw at it. My concern came when I checked with the local mail-order Mopar seller and he said that because my trans was an early 904 that it wasn't even good as a core. He showed me the larger castings on the right/front of the later model, so that is where my concern is coming from.
Thx.
Mac

I dont know why the early 904 wouldnt be any good to use as a core. A 999 would be better for a few reason, low gear set and more clutches. Either one will stand up to just about any small block. I was running one behind my old 340 and it will be used with the new motor aswell.

Dead End Kid said:
Fishey, when I upgrade, I plan on upgrading to a 360, like what you run. But it appears you are running the 727.

I know that the 904, in general, is o.k. and can probably live up to anything I will probably throw at it. My concern came when I checked with the local mail-order Mopar seller and he said that because my trans was an early 904 that it wasn't even good as a core. He showed me the larger castings on the right/front of the later model, so that is where my concern is coming from.
Thx.
Mac

Yeah I'm running a 727 but that's what came with my car. Really a properly built 904 would stand up to my 360 just fine. I haven't worked on any older 904's so I can't comment on them but I didn't think there was much difference in them.

Can you explain what you mean by the "larger castings on the right front". I can't think of any casting difference in the aluminum case 904's.

I am the first to admit that I am a complete dunce when it comes to an automatic transmission, so Fishy, bear with me. Looking at the Andrews ad along the right side of this post, it is the cylindrical casting that is approximately the size of a frozen o.j. can right above the front corner of the trans pan. This picture shows a smaller cylindrical casting above, but as I remember (though I could be wrong), the one on the trans I was looking at did not have the smaller cylinderish casting. Guessing (asking) that this is where the accumulator resides.

Thanking you in advance for your patience and information.

Mac

Dead end
if you not sure, come by and you can look at the trans I have in the back
let me know

Dead End Kid said:
I am the first to admit that I am a complete dunce when it comes to an automatic transmission, so Fishy, bear with me. Looking at the Andrews ad along the right side of this post, it is the cylindrical casting that is approximately the size of a frozen o.j. can right above the front corner of the trans pan. This picture shows a smaller cylindrical casting above, but as I remember (though I could be wrong), the one on the trans I was looking at did not have the smaller cylinderish casting. Guessing (asking) that this is where the accumulator resides.

Thanking you in advance for your patience and information.

Mac

No problem Mac. We all gotta learn them sometime. That would be the servo that opperates the front band. Even I'm ignorant on this because I have very little experiance on the 904's. I've only had 727's. The 727 only had one size servo although 2 different styles but you can't tell the difference from the outside. I will say I didn't think the 904's had any different size servos but again I very well could be wrong. It really makes me wonder though if this fellow that told you that had things mixed up and was comparing a 727 to a 904 because there is a big difference in the size of them.

-
Back