Early A bellhousing in 68 A body

-

Projectile Dart

Reaction score
I got lucky and scored a small block A833 out of a 1966 Dodge dart. The Dart was set up with a 318 and the 4 speed with an Inland shifter. I knew this was a "pieced" Together kit because it was a slip yoke trans (I'm about 99% sure those were on 1967 and newer) but now that I have it home, I'm checking numbers and I'm seeing that the bellhousing comes up as strictly early a body and nothing about later year interchangeability. Will this work on my 360 in my 1968 Dodge dart? My next step would be to contact Brewers trans directly but I figured I would start here first. If I get a definite no right now then I will have to see what my next step is to get the correct parts. Not sure where I read that all A body 4 speed bellhousings and some E body bellhousings were interchangeable by just swapping to the "correct" ball stud
I understand this is for a 9.5" clutch but that part doesn't scare me if it all works because I only want a reliable 4 speed daily driver.

20230525_150213.jpg

20230525_150208.jpg

20230523_135211.jpg

Slip yokes started in '66.
If it has a 26 spline output shaft, its a '66-'67. If it has a 30 spline output, it's a ('67 big block, or) '68 and up.
The bellhousing number means it's for a '64-'66 A body.
The two being paired together suggests that it was original to the '66 Dart.
It will live just fine behind a mild DD 360, especially if you upgrade to the 10" scalloped disc and pressure plate.
The issue is going to be the balance; that flywheel is for an internally balanced engine, your 360 is externally balanced. You can either have the flywheel rebalanced for a 360, or run something like this:
Quick Time RM-531 Quick Time Balance Plate - Mopar
The linkage you'll be on your own with, usually people are swapping from the early 122 tooth flywheel to the 10.5" 130 tooth flywheel and bellhousing, you're proposing going the opposite way- not saying it can't be done, you'll just have to be ready to modify and fabricate. I also hope you've already got three pedals in your '68, because the pedals from the '66 are completely different and won't work in your Dart.

You will be much better off getting the right bell housing and selling the 64-66 bell housing. Everything will be easier. Get a Hurst shifter when you can with the linkage from Passon or Brewers.

Thank you guys, I didn't get the flywheel and everything else from the car because I knew I would need the 360 specific stuff. I will wait on getting all of that until I physically have a bellhousing in my hands to make sure I get the right stuff.
I don't mind a little bit of modification here and there but I don't feel like fabricating stuff from scratch. I will be getting all the parts together and getting rid of everything I don't need.
I actually already have 2 hurst shifters and 1 set of matching rods for those so I'm ready on that end.

I'll jump on the get a later bellhousing train also! You will be time and aggravation ahead. If you are able to find one locally, I would suggest loading up your 833 and taking it with you to make sure the front bearing retainer hole is the right size. It needs to just be able to slide in and barely fit. You want to avoid a bellhousing from a truck, or one that has the huge bearing retainer hole that indicates it was for an 833OD transmission.

:thumbsup:

Like others have mentioned, the issue will be the balance on the flywheel for 360. Buy a later model 10.5" bell.

My son drills neutral balanced flywheels for externally balanced engines. Any machine shop with a Indexer for a mill can do it

001 (2).jpg

001 (3).jpg

-
Back