Early A body 360

-

Valiant Ef4t

Reaction score
I am installing a 1990 Dodge Power Ram stick 360 in a 1965 Valiant 200 2 door . It will also be a 4 speed. Is the harmonic balancer an issue, can a 273 balancer and timing cover be swapped? And are headers available for power steering option? Is the truck flywheel and clutch a good setup? I also own a 1965 Signet, factory 273 235HP, 4 speed, and once owned a 1965 100 with 273, 235 HP,4 Speed, sure grip, 16:1 steering, HD suspension. The 200 is a tribute to my earlier 100, with upgrades of 8.75 rear end and disc brakes. One more question, is the 1970s electronic distributor an adequate for the 360? Thanks.

welcome... sounds like nice project.....lots of good questions but it will work better to ask each question in its appropriate section. that way If someone (like me) gives an incorrect answer, someone with the correct knowledge can correct the mistake.

if i'm not mistaken, the 360 is externally balanced, where the 273 and 318 are internally balanced. so you need externally balanced balancer and flywheel.

headers in a 65 valiant. fenderwell headers, other options, need to ask in small block or exh area. headers aren't cheap!!!!

truck flywheel (360) it would be correct balance, but does the bell work with the 65 dart, doubt it. you would need correct Z bar and host of parts if changing over to a 4 speed.... ask in 4 speed spot!!! LOL

the mopar elect, is adequate in my opinion, but the popular setup seems to be the HEI with most people.

welcome... good questions and it will be great combo, the 65 dart and small block. lots of info here. the search button will also yield lots of answers too, as far as other problems you can run into especially if changing a slant over to a SB> good luck...

Welcome to FABO. barbee6043 is leading you the correct direction.
You can use the 360 balancer with the old 273 timing cover if you want., you will just have to make a new timing mark on it. Why not just leave the 360 timing cover and water pump on and get a matching rad for it.
A Fellow named treblig has a post on what fits the early a cars for exhaust as well.
There is a forum for the Early A car like your ask away.

-
Back