early a-body clutch pedal problem

-

Patrick

Reaction score
Have the 4 speed pedal assembly out of the car and noticed that when i depress the clutch pedal past a certain point (about mid-way) it 'locks' into the fully depressed position... Very strange... The spring looks OK and the linkage looks OK too...Anyone have an idea what may be wrong?

If I need to remove the spring to debug the issue how difficult is it to put the spring back on?

thanks!

How it functions out of the car or in your hand really has nothing to do with how it might function in the car.
Food for thought... glovebox doors etc.. are held both open and closed by the springs design. Hope this helps

The clutch pedal is suppose to have tension on it from the clutch do you have pedal assembly out for repair or what, if you need to replace the bushings you will have to remove spring but I wouldnt worry about it if not put it back in and see what happens Ray

72Demon,
Doing an auto to manual conversion so i have the assembly out. Wanted to fix a potential problem now before i install it.

I guess what you're both saying is that the clutch itself will provide the needed force to keep the pedal up... I just didn't expect this to happen - you see a big a$$ spring and think it's enough to keep the pedal up without any other help!

The pedal slamming to the floor when the clutch linkage is removed is normal when the over-center spring is on the pedal. I had the adjuster rod fall out on the highway one time. Had a bit of a rude awakening when I went to down shift & the pedal stuck to the floor. Had to turn in & coast to a stop. Came back later with replacement parts & fixed it at the side of the road. Of course, it was December, dark, wind chill below zero, the typical time a car breaks down. LOL

-
Back