early A body exhaust EXPERTS!

-
IMHO - single has a ton of advantages. Less weight, easier to route, better scavenging, less money and on an early A looks stock(ish).

This is what I did on mine, Doug's headers into two 2 1/2 inch pipes, Flowmaster Y-pipe into a single 3-inch muffler and tail pipe. I even bought the factory repro tip from Accurate Exhaust.

The crossover happens before the transmission crossmember so I added a flange after the muffler so I could easily drop the system to pull the transmission out.

You would have to have a very high strung motor to see any difference in your timeslip over dual 2 1/2-inch pipes.

Attachments

• 70_Exhaust_01.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 70_Exhaust_Tail.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 70_Exhaust_Tip.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 169
FWIW, I replaced that Flowmaster muffler with a Dynomax Super Turbo, I guess I am officially too old because it was too loud. That Flowmaster was on my Dakota which ran a 12.79 @ 106 through that single muffler.

That's it! That's the way to do it. I caint stress enough that that Flowmaster Y is an integral part of it, too. It's a scavengin beeotch. That looks real good man.

Now, I want you r car. lol

How big is the pipe with repo tip? $300 is kinda steep for a tip/resonator, but I want one for my slant six valiant.

That's it! That's the way to do it. I caint stress enough that that Flowmaster Y is an integral part of it, too. It's a scavengin beeotch. That looks real good man.

Now, I want you r car. lol

Thanks!

How big is the pipe with repo tip? $300 is kinda steep for a tip/resonator, but I want one for my slant six valiant.

It's a 3-inch pipe I pieced together from a universal 3-inh tailpipe kit.

fzmax~ Did you cut the notch for the exhaust tip in the bumper shroud (If thats what it called) or did that come stock? I like your set up.

Even though I made the setup ready for dual...thinking I may just end up with the single. save me a little cash and I dig it. (More stock looking for sure).

Mahalo again guys!

I THINK only the Commando cars came with that cutout from the factory.

I went with single because of the great info the tec's gave me here.
but some folks thought :-k way do the duals :-|and not have dual !
Like SS said it just works better for the smaller engines and I am glad I did. But you do know I run a street /6 4 barrel, Glad I did 2'' to 2 1/2'', heck I even put a 2'' tail pipe on and I think it was charley s and others giveing me advise on my daily driver :cheers: SS also. 170/6 will runa 11.37 1/8, not fast but runs smooth and cleaner then it did :D and yes I can remove my old trans to do a clutch if needed ..

Attachments

• Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20032.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20029.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 167
why not weld a set of flanges in the crossover pipe so you can "split" the exhaust to get the trans out.or flange the system behind the mufflers so you can drop the front portion as one piece.crossover pipes do help power output imo.ive seen this first hand on my car.ive built several exhausts on my 340 being a fabricator by trade.the one that made the least torque on my car was a true dual(no crossover) mandrel 2.5 system.the system that made the most power across the board was a 3" x pipe with ultraflow mufflers.off idle and midrange torque are excellent.honestly the results are not what i expected.im not sure there is any magic formula to determine how every exhaust system will react to a give combo.

why not weld a set of flanges in the crossover pipe so you can "split" the exhaust to get the trans out.or flange the system behind the mufflers so you can drop the front portion as one piece.crossover pipes do help power output imo.ive seen this first hand on my car.ive built several exhausts on my 340 being a fabricator by trade.the one that made the least torque on my car was a true dual(no crossover) mandrel 2.5 system.the system that made the most power across the board was a 3" x pipe with ultraflow mufflers.off idle and midrange torque are excellent.honestly the results are not what i expected.im not sure there is any magic formula to determine how every exhaust system will react to a give combo.

This ^^^^^ It's all merely conjecture based on individual experiences. You just need to decide what you want and do it.

That's the problem...I asked about the H crossover and now I can't fricken decide dual, single etc.

I'm leaning towards single. The original engine was set up single... so not much is need to make it happen. Just the connection to the Dougs and the dual into one scavenger then to the existing exhaust setup. Couple hundred dollars and I'm done...yea...gonna do the single!!!!!

This ^^^^^ It's all merely conjecture based on individual experiences. You just need to decide what you want and do it.
conjecture?....no.individual experiences?....yes.law?...not at all.i was merely offering up my results and a way to add duals without the tranny removal nightmare.

That's the problem...I asked about the H crossover and now I can't fricken decide dual, single etc.

I'm leaning towards single. The original engine was set up single... so not much is need to make it happen. Just the connection to the Dougs and the dual into one scavenger then to the existing exhaust setup. Couple hundred dollars and I'm done...yea...gonna do the single!!!!!

:cheers::cheers: IMO a good call for your 66 :cheers:

Attachments

• VICTORIA%20ELECTRIC%20SYSTEM%202010%20021.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 148
conjecture?....no.individual experiences?....yes.law?...not at all.i was merely offering up my results and a way to add duals without the tranny removal nightmare.

I was agreeing with you. lol

fzmax~ Did you cut the notch for the exhaust tip in the bumper shroud (If thats what it called) or did that come stock? I like your set up.

Thanks. I did cut that notch, but isn't the 66 bumper taller without a rear splash pan?

Excellent post here. There are advantages to both systems including sound but think single system is underrated for small blocks & if built right can have awesome tone and performance. Since i have early-a's with both a dual set-up & hi-flow single here are some visuals. Sorry for squeaky door on cuda but video was taken during winter warm spell after car had been stored for awhile & my valiant has complete factory hi-po single system you can hear nicely over radio when kickdown hits preventing some non-american iron getting between a couple of mopars. Turn up volume & enjoy.

Oldschoolcuda

[ame]http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/Oldschoolcuda/?action=view&current=Dec302008-VID00001.mp4[/ame]

[ame]http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/Oldschoolcuda/?action=view&current=May162009-VID00010.mp4[/ame]

I'll need to look...here's from FSM....

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 133
Excellent oldschoolcuda...both sound great. Mahalo for posting the videos.

I'm so confused....vinnie barbarino....

here is mine, I didn't want to put it on since it was 45 years old. but got tired of everyone looking at the back of the car looking for the chrome tip. So I put it back on btw the exhaust on the car is oem from front to back, sans muffler. lol

Attachments

• IMG_1345 (800x533).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1346 (800x533).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 141
-
Back