Early A body hood scoop options

-
I had a 64 Barracuda with a 1/2 filled 340 block and an extra capacity oil pan. I had fenderwell headers so lots of underhood heat. I cut the core support and mounted a wide aluminum radiator but the issue was really not enough space for air to get out of the engine compartment. I ended up using a hole saw to put some holes in the inner fender to let air out. I dont remeber how many holes I ended up with behind the shock absorber area and under the fenderwell headers but it looked like swiss cheese before I got enough air out to keep things from roasting under the hood. I also removed the plastic plugs up in the cowl area. The guy who bought the car from me didn't like the look of the holes so he cut the area out and welded in sheet metal. He quickly found out why those holes were there and his new metal work got even larger holes!

I have had the same problem with my 68 505' fastback. I hate header wrap and took it off. Had the headers hi heat black coated, no fiberglass any more !!
I installed some chromed plastic marine vents in each side , (ABOUT 18" X 3") beside the 6 pack scoop to let air out. The one on the pass. side is warping from the engine compartment heat . I do not have cooling problems with the engine it self now tho , I got that worked out last summer. Just the under hood heat. Think I`ll get s/steel vents , if I can find the right size to fit the holes, I`m sure they help cooling the engine too.---------

I have had the same problem with my 68 505' fastback. I hate header wrap and took it off. Had the headers hi heat black coated, no fiberglass any more !!
I installed some chromed plastic marine vents in each side , (ABOUT 18" X 3") beside the 6 pack scoop to let air out. The one on the pass. side is warping from the engine compartment heat . I do not have cooling problems with the engine it self now tho , I got that worked out last summer. Just the under hood heat. Think I`ll get s/steel vents , if I can find the right size to fit the holes, I`m sure they help cooling the engine too.---------

I thought I was the only one with this engine compartment heat problem but sounds like it’s common for these a body’s. I’m thinking maybe opening up the fender wells behind the shock mounts and running scoops over each side on the hood well help gain some extra air flow through the compartment. Also open up the rad support as well

My '64 Dart, with it's 360 and exhaust manifolds still makes a lot of heat under the hood. I actually run the back of the hood as high as it will go to let some of the heat out!

-
Back