Early A Column rebuild kit- ebay...

-
That's the editor of Mopar Action magazine. You might be able to find that article on their website.

I haven't used the kit, but the rebuild is quite simple. There is no need to take out the crosspin in the shaft, and this kit has both the pressed in type and the type that uses a lock pin. Essentially, you place the clip over then end of the shaft, whose job it is to keep the spacers pushed out to avoid rattling. Then slip the spacers onto the cross pin over the clip. The housing cover on this design will go over the crosspin as will the rubber seal. (your old metal housing cover will have to be removed by cutting it unless you want to press out/in the pin). Pack the housing with grease, slide the assembly into the housing with the spacers oriented the "wide" direction and then crimp the tabs on the cover to hold it in place. I will try pre-crimping next time to see if it will snap on.

That is my experience, I just did my '65 Valiant. This kit is not correct as the original had a rectangular cover without the large round hole and the rubber was black. I believe if you have this type of kit, you may have to press the pin.

Others who have more experience may share their expertise!

Just done mine today, fairly simple and my car is a 64 Signet which has the large round hole in the rectangular cover so all those parts fit perfectly. Not that I needed too but I installed a zerk fitting so it can be greased with taking it apart should it falter.

-
Back