Early A disc brake question (not the standard one)

-

Rocket-Racing

Reaction score
Not a question on upgrading to discs, but about rotor interchange..

I have a '65 Valiant wagon that came from the factory with Kelsey Hayes sbp discs. Still sporting sbp and rolling on 14x5,5" wheels. I'm happy with that and was not planning on upgrades in that department.
But now I have to replace my rear end and want a highway friendly ratio, 2.93 like the original or lower (number). Another 7,5" is out of the question and the most sensible axle to use would be a 8 1/4" from newer car, but that would mean large bolt pattern..
I could live with two different patterns but as I use steel wheels with dogdish caps I'm concerned that the wheels will look different.

I really don't want to upgrade the front brakes as I'm happy with the KH setup and the fact that it's a very rare option on a '65 wagon.
So the question is: Is it possible to replace my sbp rotors with different rotors that have the large pattern and keep the rest of my setup?
Not sure but I don't think the '73-> rotors will work. I'm thinking maybe early Mustang as they came with the same Kelsey Hayes brakes.
Have any of you guys run into this problem before? All help and thoughts apreciated :)

Anders, Norway

i wonder the same ,becauser i have on my 66 barracuda the same stuff going on.

With dog dish hubcaps on, you can not tell if which bolt pattern the wheel is.
And both bolt pattern wheels are 5.5 inches wide.

I believe adapters are the only way for your app. That being said I'd change my brakes/bolt pattern before I'd use adapters. Remember you can always swap over to the 73+, just keep your original ones on hand should you decide to sell the car.

why could you not have the new 8.25 drilled for the small bolt pattern? Lawrence

Thanks for the replys guys!

Yellowdartdave:
The dog dishes will cover the lugs so the difference in bolt patterns won't be visible. Trouble is there is a difference in design between the 5,5" sbp and lbp wheels. If they were black I'd probably get away with it, but they will be light blue so I'm afraid it will show..

1970Duster:
I have adapters but I won't run them on the front. They widen the track to much, both messing up the look and steering geometry. I'd be happy to use adapters on the rear as it wouldn't hurt the look and mounting the wheels wouldn't be a problem since the wagon has round arches. But then i'd need reversed adapters and who in their right mind would make 4,5 to 4" adapters? Don't think that would be a good business idea ;)

VDART: Redrilling the new axle is an option I guess..

I was kinda hoping I would find a disc/rotor with 4,5 pattern that would mate to the old spindle and caliper but that may be wishful thinking..
As mentioned early Mustang rotors came to mind as they used similar Kelsey Hayes brakes but with 4,5" bolt pattern. Will have to check that out. To keep my dignity I wouldn't call that using Ford parts as they all came from KH when new and replacement rotors aren't made by either Ford or Mopar..

Not a question on upgrading to discs, but about rotor interchange..

I have a '65 Valiant wagon that came from the factory with Kelsey Hayes sbp discs. Still sporting sbp and rolling on 14x5,5" wheels. I'm happy with that and was not planning on upgrades in that department.
But now I have to replace my rear end and want a highway friendly ratio, 2.93 like the original or lower (number). Another 7,5" is out of the question and the most sensible axle to use would be a 8 1/4" from newer car, but that would mean large bolt pattern..
I could live with two different patterns but as I use steel wheels with dogdish caps I'm concerned that the wheels will look different.

I really don't want to upgrade the front brakes as I'm happy with the KH setup and the fact that it's a very rare option on a '65 wagon.
So the question is: Is it possible to replace my sbp rotors with different rotors that have the large pattern and keep the rest of my setup?
Not sure but I don't think the '73-> rotors will work. I'm thinking maybe early Mustang as they came with the same Kelsey Hayes brakes.
Have any of you guys run into this problem before? All help and thoughts apreciated :)

Anders, Norway

Here is how you can go big bolt with your existing Kelsey Hayes brake system.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20544&highlight=mustang+rotors

you also could have your stock rotors drilled...

That would ordinarily be an option but not so easy in this case. The Kelsey Hayes small pattern discs consist of a flat rotor and loose hub that the wheel mounts to, the studs keep them together. Would be hard to drill and I don't think there is enough space either..

Anyway, the Mustang rotors will do the trick.

Thanks to fabo once again!

The option not mentioned is 8 3/4 A-Body width with Small Bolt Pattern axles. If going thru the expense of an 8 1/4 Plus the expense of the KH to LBP convrsion, spend a bit more on the rear end and go with the 8 3/4. AND then you can retain the SBP.

chewy's reply is exactly what I was thinking, but I skimmed to bottom and finally saw his write up. Pre 72 sbp 8 3/4 rear end is the correct and easy solution. 2.93 gear sets are easy to find and cheapest too.

Thanks for the input.

I'm aware of the sbp 8 3/4 option and agree that it is the most logical one.
Trouble is these are very hard to find over here in Scandinavia and priced accordingly.
Am I right in thinking they didn't come with 2.93 gears in the A-body version? At least the ones I have seen over here are all 3.23 or 3.55.

-
Back