Early A / Gen3 Hemi Header Options

-

Valiant1

Reaction score
I"m in the planning stages of my next project. I've had this rust free 64 Valiant in my garage for a few years and have now picked up a 5.7L / six speed manual from a wrecked RT Challanger. I'm trying to keep it realtively simple and not spend a ton of money that I don't have. I've read about TinCup's car (beautiful job!), but I would like to keep from having to go the Alterkation front end route. Does anybody know if there are headers available that will fit this combo and still allow me to keep the stock front end? I was thinking maybe some shorty block huggers or something?

I"m in the planning stages of my next project. I've had this rust free 64 Valiant in my garage for a few years and have now picked up a 5.7L / six speed manual from a wrecked RT Challanger. I'm trying to keep it realtively simple and not spend a ton of money that I don't have. I've read about TinCup's car (beautiful job!), but I would like to keep from having to go the Alterkation front end route. Does anybody know if there are headers available that will fit this combo and still allow me to keep the stock front end? I was thinking maybe some shorty block huggers or something?

Srt jeep manifolds may work with some mods to them.

Why not a fenderwell system most persons use on early A's, as there is just a tiny space for any other kind of headers to fit without being a nightmare.

I've had the same un-coated Hooker fenderwell headers on five engines in my 64 Signet for at least 25 years and they haven't been a problem :)

In my opinion, I hate fender well headers. Not only do they weaken the front of the car by cutting thru some support structure, but they devalue the car (removing part of fender well) and they rub your tires in sharp turns. Ask me how I know. I'd love to lose the fender well headers on a 64 Dart I have. I am just too lazy to remove them on the stock 273. The car has a 2 1/2 inch stainless exhaust with cross over pipe… totally unnecessary on the car.
Hav you tried looking at Shorty headers???

Unfortunately there are not many choices. S & P makes a set of headers that shoot straight down, but will probably hit the k frame. Then you have TTI's expensive, and don't fit great. The srt8 manifolds will probably have a problem with the torsion bars, i doubt they will fit. Without an AlterK, your choices are slim, I think the only chance you have will be TTI's

Thanks for the input. I was just looking at the S&P shorties and I was thinking there might be a K-frame issue too. They sell flanges that might allow me to make something up myself, but that's something I'd like to avoid if I can. This whole thing might get complicated. There is just not that much room available. I was also thinking that I might make some room if I can switch to a rear steer R&P unit, but I don't know if I can get the column to make that hard of a turn down to the rack. It would need to be where the centerlink is now and that's not too far in front of the firewall. I need to keep thinking about this. I still have a nice 360 sitting under the bench that would be fine and still bolts up to the Tremec. I don't know what's the better route yet.
:banghead:

Jeep SRT8 Manifolds are tight enough by the motor and steering, aren't they? Then if that is true, a specially made head pipe is all you need to make it work. I have a set, and sure hope the info I got is correct. Actually, I have two sets!

EDIT: After looking at pics of those SRT8 manifolds on the motor, they may be too close to the T bars to work.The best, but most extensive mod is most likely a Mustang II front setup and moved inner fenders, or struts.
There are ways to eliminate the torsion bars with coilover shocks, but then there are some K frame interference problems to deal with. The coilover conversion with some extra support for the upper shock mount like the Alterkation setup has may be your cheapest route. Somewhere there was also a thread on making a rear support for the Rear of the lower A arm to replace the support lost from removing the T bars.
I will have a lot more info on what will fit/work this fall, as I plan to start building the new coilover front/5.7 combo with SRT8 manifolds then.

Greg,
I saw on this site somewhere about a early A kit to use coilovers with the stock K frame. This would eliminate the T bars to maybe make room for the manifolds. The kit was a weld-in modification and I think included new upper and lower arms, brackets,reinforcements, etc. I think it was only $425 for everyrthing but the shocks. That might be worth looking into. The stock steering gear is still there, but at least part of the space is opened up. Just FYI is you haven't seen it.

-
Back