Early A manual steering

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does any one now if their is a difference in manual steering boxes for 66 and older darts, cudas etc, than the 67, and up manual steering boxes,?? I have one but I don't know what it came out of. I want to change my Dart project to manual.

Also.... has anyone replaced the seals on the steering gear end. The FSM uses a special tool for removal, and installation. I'm thinking that it might be able to be changed without the spec tool.

Thanks barracudadave67

I bought a 16:1 ratio steering box from PST that's listed for the '67+ Abodys. Bolted right in to my '64 dart. No mods necessary.

The difference is the mounting bolt hole size. The 66 and older box has a smaller 7/16" bolt size, 67 and up is 1/2".

To replace the gear shaft seal, I used a trick I learned on here.

I removed the pitman arm, then screwed the nut part way on, placed my oil change pan underneath with a bucket that fit pretty close, then started the car and gently turned the wheel. It only took a second for the seal to pop out...along with a bunch of steering fluid. Pretty sure I had the front end on jack stands, but can't remember.

I also replaced the o-rings under and in the valve body on top of the gear. Its a little tricky centering the valve body once you remove it. No more leaks though!!

Nevermind, you're working on manual. I need another beer!:eek:

To replace the gear shaft seal, I used a trick I learned on here.

I removed the pitman arm, then screwed the nut part way on, placed my oil change pan underneath with a bucket that fit pretty close, then started the car and gently turned the wheel. It only took a second for the seal to pop out...along with a bunch of steering fluid. Pretty sure I had the front end on jack stands, but can't remember.

I also replaced the o-rings under and in the valve body on top of the gear. Its a little tricky centering the valve body once you remove it. No more leaks though!!

-
Back