Early A Speedo Pinion

-

Blues65

Reaction score
Well my original 21 tooth Speedo pinion is finally beginning to give up and with Layson’s turmoil its doubtful they will reproduce one anytime soon, I guess I need to consider alternatives. I understand there is a device that will adapt a new style pinion but was a little unsure what it look like. The access room between the transmission mount and the hole for the pinion in my 4 speed car is very limited. Is anyone familiar with the device and will one fit without altering my transmission mount.

Well my original 21 tooth Speedo pinion is finally beginning to give up and with Layson’s turmoil its doubtful they will reproduce one anytime soon, I guess I need to consider alternatives. I understand there is a device that will adapt a new style pinion but was a little unsure what it look like. The access room between the transmission mount and the hole for the pinion in my 4 speed car is very limited. Is anyone familiar with the device and will one fit without altering my transmission mount.

I had John at Cope Racing transmission have a custom cable made for me. He can get what you need. I run a 727 in my 64. Works great!

i thought they were all the same, for many years,,???

Hi FastFish66, the early Chrysler cars had a different speedometer pinion and they looked much like the Mustang speedometer pinion. I have salvaged many 16 and one 19 tooth but I have never found a replacement 21 tooth. Thought about trying the 19 tooth since I am running larger (235 60 X 15) tires in the rear.

SP16.jpe

I had John at Cope Racing transmission have a custom cable made for me. He can get what you need. I run a 727 in my 64. Works great!

Hi Dave, I checked out Cope Racing transmission but did not see anything that would adapt old style pinion housing. As I understand it, there is a device that can somehow adapt or replace the old style pinion. I believe you are saying Cope Racing transmission's somehow resolved this problem in your car with a special cable assembly?

learn some thing new all the time,,didnt know the speed o drives were different,,they are the same in a stick shift box,,as late model

Has anyone found a reasonably priced source for these old style speedometer pinions? Looking for a 20T. I think they're green.

Has anyone found a reasonably priced source for these old style speedometer pinions? Looking for a 20T. I think they're green.

Laysons is the only source I could find that had the old pinions remanufactured (probable not any longer). I have never seen a 20 tooth pinion available anywhere but a 21 tooth was used for 3.23 manual shift cars. I have salvaged many 18 tooth and one 19 tooth but I was never able to find a replacement for my 21 tooth pinion. I have salvaged them in A and B body cars, trucks and vans built until 1965. Brewers sells used 16, 17, 18, & 19 tooth pinions but said 21 is very rare.

-
Back